• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

INtroducing New Member: Leiopython

Leiopython

Reaction score
Hello. I am new to trucks so I do not have a lot of knowledge about them. I am creating a membership to gain some knowledge. If I can be honest, I am in the market for a used pick up and am undecided between makes and models or what to look for. I am not in immediate need of it, looking to purchasing within the next 6 months but want to research and learn before purchasing. I am looking to use this truck as a family vehicle, so reliability is a must. I would put my budget at $16k. Any advice anyone here can give as to what to look for (makes, models, mileage etc...) would be greatly appreciated. I prefer a bigger cab since I have two younger children and two dogs I will occasionally be transporting. Thanks for any help and advice anyone can give.

Hello from Minnesota. Plenty of good choices for the truck you're looking for. Four door trucks seem to be the norm these days so getting the family aboard shouldn't be a problem, and I'm sure you could score a reliable used truck within your budget as well.

Welcome aboard
Do you really have a need for an open truck bed? Being this will be a family vehicle it will be hauling things like groceries, luggage and the like an SUV maybe a better choice.

It's not a work truck but I would like the open truck bed. It is would also not be the only vehicle I own so I have no concern for groceries or luggage.

Welcome from the Mitten, I am assuming a 4wd 1/2 ton full size truck so a 4 door Dodge with a Hemi, GM 4 door with a 5.3. The Ford F150 is a nice truck but the 5.4 3V is a problem if it hasn't been maintained well be the pervious owner. I just put a 5.4 3V in a 11 Lincoln Navigator cost him around $6500. I have a customer with a Toyota 4 door and loves it. This is his second one.

Welcome from Massachusetts . Look's like to me that the guy's have already given you some good advise . Do you have a brand that you favor ?

16K is a ton for a good used truck. Chevy parts are ubiquitous and cheap, but I like OG American, so GMC and Dodge for me. People love their Yotas, but I think they look like a bad science experiment. My buddy has had a full size Tundra since new, near 8.5 years now, and he's never put a dollar into parts, hell, he's 2 years overdue on a tune up. still runs great. Perfect for him, because he wouldn't know what to do with a socket set if it saved his life. It's all about what make/model catches your eye. Do your research, read up on the engine quality and reliability, know what your looking for, and wait for the best deal.

(First post here, seems like a special moment..)

Back