• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Indy Ram/ Ram SS/T info

dusted72

Reaction score
Okay we need info on here and I figured I would start with what I have found about the truck I am gonna buy when I get back from deployment. It's a 98 Ram SS/T black with the silver stripes. I had heard they were a limited production truck and looked everywhere with no definitive information about them. So I went to looking through Google and here is what I came up with for the production numbers and breakdown by year and color.

DODGE RAM INDIANAPOLIS 500 (2,802)

DODGE RAM SS/T (6,278)

1997 Dodge Ram SS/T – 3,711

1998 Dodge Ram SS/T – 2,567

Dodge Ram SS/T Production Numbers

Color.....................1997............1998

Red/Silver..............741...............412
Black/Silver..........1,122..............916
White/Blue.............902...............574
Green/Silver...........946...............665

Total....................3,711............2,567

While I can't guarantee these to be true facts they are the ONLY ones that I have been able to come up with. More info to follow.

Last edited:
1996 Indy Ram

Here is a little info from Factory Sport Trucks. As you can see there are differences in sales numbers from site to site. Either way they are/were cool trucks and it is safe to say they are limited in numbers.

1996 Dodge Ram Indy 500 Special Edition - This limited production Dodge Ram Indy 500 Special Edition pickup truck is based on a short-bed two-wheel drive 1500 Ram with the Laramie SLT and Sport packages. The Dodge Magnum 5.9L V8 was boosted from 230 to 245 horsepower and a new performance exhaust was added. Indy Ram trucks run 17.1 in the 1/4-mile at about 83mph. The paint, inspired by the Dodge Viper GTS, consists of Brilliant Blue paint with twin white racing stripes across the roof, hood, front grill and tailgate. Special items include a "Dodge" windshield graphic, 17-inch American Racing Wheels, 17-inch Goodyear Eagle GTII Tires, sport-tuned exhaust with chrome tip, and commemorative Indy 500 logo on the doors. These trucks were priced around $20,000 and only about 3712 Ram Indy Trucks actually produced.

More 1996 Indy Ram info

This is from 440 Magnum Network. Still seeing variations in the actual sales.

The Dodge Ram Indy 500 Special Edition truck started life as a Ram 1500 short bed standard cab, equipped with the 5.9L Magnum V8 and the SLT Sport Package, modified with a monochromatic paint treatment in Brilliant Blue, twin white racing stripes, unique 17-inch wheels and performance rubber, and more. Approximately 2802 Indy Rams were built.

1997 Ram SS/T info

I got this from Factory Sport Trucks as well.

Dodge Ram Super Sport (SS/T) - This awesome version of the Dodge Ram truck features dual racing stripes, performance engine tuning, and 17-inch wheels. The 17-inch wheels are custom aluminum models similar to those found of the Indy 500 Special Edition, and they wear P275/60R17 performance tires. The sport-tuned exhaust adds a touch of style with a chrome tip, while the 5.9L V8 engine boasts an additional 10 horsepower for a 245 hp rating. The Ram SS/T includes all the standard features found on the Ram SLT, but adds a color-keyed paint scheme with watching bumper, grille, lower fascia and rear valance panel. The dash gains a tachometer, while fog lights were added to the front bumper. The trucks are available in four color choices: black with silver stripes, emerald green with silver stripes, flame red with silver stripes, and bright white with blue stripes.

More 1997 Ram SS/T info

This came from 440 Magnum Network.

The 1997 Dodge Ram SS/T took the sport truck image to a new level for full-size pick-ups. A specially-tuned 250-horsepower 5.9-liter V8 engine, chrome-tipped sport-tuned exhaust, a muscular 17-inch aluminum wheel and performance tire package, and Viper-like racing stripes set this truck apart from the pack. The Ram SS/T evolved from Dodge's success with the special edition Indy Ram, the official truck for the 1996 Indianapolis 500 that was produced in a limited run of just 2,802 vehicles to support Dodge's role as Official Pace Car with the 1996 Viper GTS. When demand for the Indy outweighed supply for the truck, Chrysler realized they had a hit they found out the appeal wasn't just in the tie-in to the race, but in the inherent performance characteristics of the truck. Chrysler paid Careful attention to maximizing content on the truck without pricing it out of the customer's reach.
The 1997 Ram SS/T includes all the standard features on the Ram SLT. The SS/T package includes the engine and exhaust modifications, the racing stripes, color-keyed bumper, grille, lower fascia and rear valance panel, tachometer, dual-note horn and fog lights. Exterior color choices include black, emerald green and flame red, all with silver stripes, or bright white with blue stripes. The SS/T is Destin to be collectable considering the limited 2 year production.

1998 Ram SS/T info

While not a lot changed between the 2 years there were differences. Mainly in the interior, in 98 Dodge changed the dashes in their Ram lineup. I personally like the 98 dash better, but that us just me. Other then that and the exterior mirrors going from the big chrome/stainless in 97 to the more rounded black textured plastics one in 98 that is the only differences I have found. There has been talk of the HP rating being bumped down to 245 in 98 all of the people who I have spoke with say that both the 97 and 98 SS/T's had 245 which is I believe 15 over a stock 5.9l. However all 5.9l's starting in 98 had 245 HP advertised, at least that is what wiki says.

Back for 1998 the Limited Edition Dodge Ram SS/T (Super Sport Truck) received only minor changes. The Dodge Ram SS/T is a unique factory street version of the popular Dodge Ram. The throaty, head-turning exhaust note of the SS/T insures you will probably hear it before you see it. For 1998 the specially-tuned 5.9-liter (360) V8 engines horsepower was lowered to 245. The SS/T package for 1998 includes engine and exhaust modifications, racing stripes, color-keyed bumpers including the grille, lower fascia and rear valance panel. A tachometer, dual-note horn and fog lights are also included. Exterior color choices include black, emerald green and flame red, all with silver stripes, or bright white with blue stripes.
Both 1997 and 1998 models of the bold, in your face Dodge Ram SS/T were a hit with sport truck enthusiasts. Making these Limited Edition Trucks very desirable and very collectible, but also very hard to find. 1998 was the final year for the Dodge Ram SS/T.

Here are a few pics I found online. Sorry I couldn't find a good pic of the green ones so I will keep looking.

Black Ram.jpgRam Red.jpgRam White.jpgRam Indy.jpg

Black Ram.jpg

Ram Red.jpg

Ram White.jpg

Ram Indy.jpg

Looks like a pretty cool truck, the blue and the red one are good looking. Looks like the black one has gold stripes (or are they silver?). NICE!
I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of you standing by the truck you buy when you get home.

The blue ones are the Indy Rams from 96. They are sweet looking but if I could choose a color it would definitely be red, white would be my second choice. The white ones have blue stripes and look sweet.

Back