• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

ignition switch and tumbler replacement 78 D200

Jmgray80

Reaction score
I got a 78 D200 W/O tilt steering that I'm trying to replace the ignition switch and tumbler. I have the steering wheel, turn signal assembly and snap ring removed but I can't get, what I guess is, the jacket assembly. The factory service manual shows you need special tool C-4044 to remove the shaft to get it out of the way but I can't seem to find anyone that sells one. is there something else I can use? I used the steering wheel puller from O'reilly auto parts to get the steering wheel off and i tried just about every combination of the tools provided in that set and couldn't get anything to work. any help is greatly appreciated

Flat plate with three holes. One for the steering shaft and two holes, one on each side for what ever size bolts you want to use. Drill the outer holes so that they depress the steering column lock ring at the flat. You will need 2 bolts and nuts. The one plate, steering wheel nut and a screw driver.
Put the plate over the column shaft and install steering wheel nut hand tight. Install bolts with nuts under the plate. Thighten bolts down till the column lock plate is depressed and remove the wire c ring that locks the plate to the column with the flat blade screw driver. And that is about it. Remove the plates and you now have acess to the switch.

Back