• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Help with putting a 440 in my 87 Ramcharger

SGBARRACUDA

Reaction score
Hi, I just registered here so I'm new over here but I hang out a a-bodies and have for years. I bought a 87 2wd Ramcharger that had a 360 in it. I'm wanting to install a 440 and I need to know which motor mount stands I need to install the 440. And what is the way to go on the exhaust,manifolds? Shorty headers? Standard headers? Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the site "SGBARRACUDA" . Your gunna need two wheel drive truck engine motor mount bracket's as well as the small brake booster . As for the exhaust , personaly I'd go with headers . The way I look at it is that if your gunna go thru all that work putting a big block in it then you might as well let it breath better . Big block's love to breath . And as far as weather you go with shorty or long tube , that's pritty much your choice . There's pro's and con's to both .

Welcome to the site "SGBARRACUDA" . Your gunna need two wheel drive truck engine motor mount bracket's as well as the small brake booster . As for the exhaust , personaly I'd go with headers . The way I look at it is that if your gunna go thru all that work putting a big block in it then you might as well let it breath better . Big block's love to breath . And as far as weather you go with shorty or long tube , that's pritty much your choice . There's pro's and con's to both .
Thanks, I have the mounts now. So now I need the smaller brake booster, you know where I can get one?

I was able to get a new one for a guy building a big block short bed a while back . If you want I'll see if there still avalable and get you a price .

will a passenger side 4wd big block mount work in a 2wd truck? I'm also doing the swap, but got mounts from a 4wd ramcharger.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you "mopar367" . Personaly I have'nt tried it . I know there is a diference between the two though . I've allway's used the two wheel drive mounts in the two wheel drive's and the 4x4 mounts in the 4x4's when I've done the swap . But a freind of mine said that he did try to do that but the motor sat to far forward with the 4x4 mount's and the trany mount would'nt line up because of it .

Thanks for the reply, better late tank never lol. I have already installed the 440 and the mounts do seem to line up. Just working on a few other issues now. Got a smaller brake booster on order from rock auto. And need a floor shifter to clear headers. Other than that Im doing pretty good with the swap. And I scored a original 383 from 1967 yesterday for cheap too. Can never have too many big blocks.

Do your self a favor and put the motor in before the new brake booster . You'll thank me later . lol The 383 ( B Block ) will give you just a little more room to over a 440 ( RB Block ) . Just one more thing you might want to think about before you put the 383 in is , you might want to think about a timeing chain , and a cam with a liitle more bottom end torque . Match that with the right carb and intake as well as a good set of headers and I think you'll be very happy with the end result . But thats just my two cents . lol

I'm a member on FABO too (My*65*Dart). Go to Bouchillon Performance Engineering's website www.bpeusa.com Go to the "Big block Truck Kit" on the web page. They sell everything to do a big block swap. If you have questions you can call them and they'll help ya out.

Back