• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

HEI going in the old Dodge

UNKNOWNRACER

Reaction score
I'm ripping out the old electronic ignition system and putting an HEI unit in. Much less clutter.

20200225_194857.jpg

IMG_20200222_162657_459.jpg

Will do that only if I can figure out how to get the fuel injection to work properly.

Good luck with that Bob...it shouldn't be too difficult. :)

was debating on doing the same with my 85 D150, that I am currently reviving.... needs Lean Burn deleted anyway.
Which I used to do fairly regularly ~20 years ago but not so much lately.... the wiring on this truck is nothing short of a train wreck. I have to basically rebuild the wiring harness anyways due to past owner "handiwork".
I got the best harness I could find out at my local boneyard, happened to be off of a 84 D350 that had a "heavy duty emissions package" 360 in it.... it too has a couple of problems but way better to start with than the original.
there was another 84 with "heavy duty 360" right in front of the one I got the harness from, was a little worse than the one that I ended up with but either are way better than the original.... and the "new" harness is already 4 pin factory Mopar ignition equipped, which saves me a little bit (I admit, "not much") work vs the original harness would, already even if both harnesses were in good shape. I scouted Ebay for new old stock Mopar replacement ECU from a reputable company "from back then".... I bought a few, and judging by shelf wear, Id bet all that I have are 30+ years old even though never used.....
though when I undo a Lean Burn I unwrap the harnesses and pull out any "extra" now-unneeded wires and plugs for a clean install, not needed I know....
I still might do as you are when my new motor is ready to go in..... whenever that is.... the original still runs so not in a hurry/ just want a "Tim Taylor" (remember "Home improvement" TV show?) "more power" infusion.... while staying with a slant.

Back