• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

gear vendors overdrive

68gtx

Reaction score
thinking about a gear vendors overdrive in my 81 2wd shortbox, has anyone done one? knowing that it will sit on the rear of the trans , I am wondering if there is enough room to clear the fuel tank.. if not would a rear mounted tank from a ramcharger fit between the rear frame rails at the rear ?

From what I have seen of the gear vender it should fit. Building a mount for it and getting the mount to clear the tank is another matter. The Ramcharger tank should fit with right tank straps. Would be way simpler to put in a 518 from a donner truck if you are use a small block.

The 518 idea makes sense to me as well . If you get one out of a short bed then make sure you grab the drive shaft as well . The 518 shaft would be shorter I believe .

The 518 idea makes sense to me as well . If you get one out of a short bed then make sure you grab the drive shaft as well . The 518 shaft would be shorter I believe .
I use a 518 in everything my 77 CrewCab get a solid 19 MPG HWY with one

Back