• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Frame repair

dogface

Reaction score
I have a 79 Dodge and it has some rust at the front hanger on rear axel. Should I get a section of frame or can I use strips of 1/4” plate. I’ve heard how not to weld but willing to hear advice. Not an everyday vehicle but I don’t want it cracking going down the road either. Thanks in advance
I’m a good welder, gas, mig and tig what’s best for this?

Many trucks have been cut, an extra length of frame added in and "fish plate" welded back together, and held up fine. Especially like dump trucks, buses stake bodies, etc.
But when it comes to rust you'd better give that whole frame a good goin over with a fine tooth comb

That's a typical place for rust out. Pictures would help with getting realistic feedback that's not just someone's speculation. That being said, here's some speculation from me. 1/4 inch plate on the inner side should be fine. Extend the repair about 4 inches past the bad area add a bunch of plug welds in the middle and I can't imagine that you'll ever have a problem.

Lil red, and I’ll try to get a picture of that area. I was thinking the same about welding on inside only with plug welds. Many years ago an old welder said not to weld vertical on a frame just horizontal. Trying to reaffirm that

It is recommended when shortening frames to cut a Z pattern. Not sure why a repair should not be treated the same.

Back