• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Finally, Truckin!

Reaction score
Greetings truckers. After 9 years of happy marriage, I FINALLY SCORED my wife a GOOD, SIMPLE, AMERICAN PICKUP TRUCK with 4 on the floor, and a much respected power-plant, the Slant Six! We;ve been blessed with a 1983 Dodge Ram Miser, a D-150 accoutred with a latter stage A-833 manual transmission, (which we called STANDARD when I learned to drive!) configured with a low "granny" first gear, and an "overdrive" ratio 4th, and an extremely simple, Spartan cab uncluttered by bullshit creature comforts, which is how the Mopar Morris Family of South Tucson ROLLS. I'm AMAZED that Detroit was permitted to make anything this virtuous after 1979, but should have known that stuff like this wouldn't survive the Reagan Decade.

Still, I thank God we got this, and that the woman who sold it to us WAITED until we got our 2018 tax refund, because she thought WE were her IDEAL owners of a present her family gave her when she graduated college.

Have a good look at that instrument panel and the engine compartment! Even WITH the emissions shit, this remains a simple, elegant old style machine. The End of A Great Era, the Last Year of the Slant Six D150, and WE got it! I named the truck Wilhelm* and he drove from Flagstaff to Tucson yesterday on half a 30 gallon tank of gas, making about 17.6 mpg.

*Respecting Mopar Engineer Genius Willem Weertman, father of the /6, the A, LA, B and RB engines, to name a few and also the former owner, as we can call the truck "Blue Bill" The former owner called it "Old Blue," a name I gave a BONG as a young man. So Wilhelm or Blue Bill will be the truck's names. We name all our Mopars Germanic names.

Bill-engine-compartment.jpg

Bill-front.jpg

Bill-side.jpg

Bill-rear.jpg

Bills-instrument-panel.jpg

Bill-new-snow-tire.jpg

Welcome aboard Gerald. Thanks for the story & the pictures without being asked. Wow, that's in great shape for an 83. I had an 82 Ramcharger for 23 years. I gave it to my brother. I have had quite a few /6 vehicles, my first car was a 65 Dart coupe that went over 300,000 miles while thrashing it all the way! Best of luck with yours.
pictures_051.jpg

Welcome aboard Gerald. Thanks for the story & the pictures without being asked. Wow, that's in great shape for an 83. I had an 82 Ramcharger for 23 years. I gave it to my brother. I have had quite a few /6 vehicles, my first car was a 65 Dart coupe that went over 300,000 miles while thrashing it all the way! Best of luck with yours.

Thank you Much! Yes, the neighbors thus far unanimously opine that we got a "GOOD to GREAT" deal on this. I loathed giving $5k, but with today's prices, I reckon being able to drive nearly 300 miles after purchase with such a pristine condition interior, and the elegant simplicity of the machine all converge to make us REJOICE that we GOT this deal! The economy is in WORSE shape than most folks admit.....

Back