• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Finally found one

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Coming across from FRRO forum. Been looking for a truck to transplant a project motor into for a little over a year now. Not too many round here, had a few sold out from under me, but I finally got my hands on one.

'78 W200 Longbed, 440 Auto. Shipping is slow at the moment, so I wont be seeing it till about mid April. The longer the wait, the sweeter the juice. Or something like that.

Screenshot_2022-01-21-20-15-17-17.jpg

I have a virgin 400 block that Ive been stacking parts for for a little while now. Im planning a 500ci stroker, a proper torque monster.

This W200 was originally equiped with a 400, so that was a nice bonus. Already found a buyer locally for the current 440 mill thats in there, and its not even here yet!

If anybody can help clarify this little tidbit, it would be much appreciated. On the paperwork the truck is listed as a 78 Power Ram, but it was my understanding that they were called Power Wagons into the early 80's, before being advertised as Power Rams?

Any hjelp much appreciated.

I worked at a Dodge Truck Dealer back then & prepped quite a few like that. If I recall, they were still called Power Wagons in that era! There might have been a trim package by that name though. I had an 82 Ramcharger. It had a Rams head hood ornament on my "Royal Prospector".

pictures 762.jpg
pictures 053.jpg

I have a virgin 400 block that Ive been stacking parts for for a little while now. Im planning a 500ci stroker, a proper torque monster.

This W200 was originally equiped with a 400, so that was a nice bonus. Already found a buyer locally for the current 440 mill thats in there, and its not even here yet!

If anybody can help clarify this little tidbit, it would be much appreciated. On the paperwork the truck is listed as a 78 Power Ram, but it was my understanding that they were called Power Wagons into the early 80's, before being advertised as Power Rams?

Any hjelp much appreciated.
States often times list a vehicle differently than what it's model name may be. The Ram name didn't come into play until the '81 model year, with the exception of the RamCharger model debuting in '74.

Looks like a '79 or newer hood found it's way on to the truck, unless they had a mid year change. All the '78 trucks I've seen have the bird bath hood on them.

Does that mean that the cowl has probably also been changed? I thought the 2 hoods were not interchangeable

Actually i believe the hoods are interchancheable. The only difference is the outer skin unless i am mistaken. To be honest, it looks exactly like the contours of the hood on my '85... Either way, that truck is beautiful.

Back