• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

electrical problems

ganicuss

Reaction score
I have a 98 RAM 1500 318 (5.2 LITER). The problem is when I turn on my headlights my horn blows and my wipers go on. Also if I I've got the engine on and put my left turn signal on the wipers go. Nothing unusual happens when I turn the right one on. Wonder if anyone else has had this problem or know of a solution.
Have checked ground wires I could see. Don't know if any are hidden or if it is just one of the switches gone bad.

When you get all that crazy electrical stuff happening, usually it's a bad ground. You might make sure the negative battery cable to engine connection is good at the engine. It probably is because a bad ground there usually affects the starter. Also check to make sure the smaller wire connected to the negative cable to body is grounded well. When I say well, I remove them and check for any kind of rust or corrosion. There's also a ground strap from the bad to the bacl of the cab. On my '77, it's on the left front corner of the bed at the bottom. On mine, there's another ground that's attached to the metal dash immediately to the right of the speedometer that is visible after you remove the plastic fascia that surrounds the instruments. Both headlamps have a short ground wire that runs from the plug on the back of the lamp to the metal radiator support. I think that's where I'd start.

Sounds like to me that you have a short in your wiring harness . More then likely in your steering column . Think about it . Your horn ? In the column . Your wiper's ? On your directional switch ( On your column ) . Your light's ? High beam also on your directional switch on your column . And of course , your directional switch it's self is on your column . So I'd be looking there myself . Just a thought .

Back