• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

easy power adders

Reaction score
Just got another truck. 1990 d150 with 318. Was wondering about some easy power adders. Not wanting much just some easy cheap stuff. Also if i put duals on it will some 22 inch long 2 inch inlet and outlet glasspacks be loud?

Hey dustered......I have a set of headers, and a 4 barrel manifold and a 750 holley for cheap....pm me

Headers,Throttle body spacer,change over to serpentine from a Mag motor & buy a real set of under drive pulleys using a 92-96 Bolt on pulley water pump MSD coil
Your best way out is a set of 92 Magnum exhaust manifolds & Y-pipe & one 3" exhaust & this should keep your computer happy
The 92 year model only manifolds have a 2 1/4 outlet where as the rest have 1 7/8-2"
Duals are cool & you can have a set that's not expensive to have run by using a 3" muffler with two outlets like a newer 94-up uses this way your O2 sensor doesn't trip out real bad
You can play with it using an O2 simulator to a point but TBI is only going to do so much
If it were me & I was in love with that TBI I would wire it with a 92 or so GM & get a Performance Chip or PROM but it ain't worth all that
Any mods like camshaft better flowing heads more compression etc will send your comp into anxiety attack mode if over done
There's a Stock Class Drag Racer out there somewhere that has flogged one of these TBI engines in a Dakota
The serpentine setup & pulleys is a great way to make a reliable 15-20 extra HP

So better breather, throttle body spacer, a little better flowing exhaust, and some under drive pulleys. My computer should be fine with all that? Oh and an MSD box should help too right? Are the headers necessary? I can get by with cutting the cat out where I live.

So better breather, throttle body spacer, a little better flowing exhaust, and some under drive pulleys. My computer should be fine with all that? Oh and an MSD box should help too right? Are the headers necessary? I can get by with cutting the cat out where I live.

Headers aid quite a bit at wot.

They don't actually make a set of headers that are tailored to use TBI like they do a Chevy
The large outlet Magnum manifolds & matching Y-pipe that has the O2 in the correct position dumps with a 3" that can be converted to 4" easy.

No header bolts to deal with or gaskets

I've ran this type of system a few times & it makes good power & torque

How about getting rid of the factory air cleaner? It goes over to that box behind the head light and there are wires coming out of the box. Is it ok to trash all that?

How about getting rid of the factory air cleaner? It goes over to that box behind the head light and there are wires coming out of the box. Is it ok to trash all that?

It really doesn't make a difference. I prefer to keep mine as all you get is engine air without it.

Back