• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

dying upholstery

bikinkawboy

Reaction score
The old vinyl seat in my '77 is shot. I've found a decent cloth seat out of an 80s truck, but it's red (faded.) I'm painting the truck black and gray and really need the seat to be either one of those colors. Has anyone dyed a seat cover? If so, how did you go about it? Remove the cover and soak it or while still in place? Any help would be appreciated.

I've found the newer dyes are a lot better then the old ones were . They seem to bond better and last longer . Unlike the old ones that would peel off at the touch of a hat . I've only used it on vinyl and plastic so far but if I have the time before winter hits I will be trying it on a set of cloth seats I have set aside for my Ramcharger . I'll be going from what they are now ( blue ) and dying them black . What I would recommend is make sure there clean and what I would do , yours being a bench seat is to separate the top ( or back ) from the bottom . Also , I've found to use more light coats rather then less heavy ones . Hope this helps . Let us know how it comes out .

Thanks for the info. I got the brake system filled and bled tonight. I need to find some shorter, 12" U bolts for the back axle. I got rid of the extra 3-1/2" block the previous owner had stacked onto the OEM block. That means I pretty much have the drivetrain and front half about done. Next comes trimming and installing carpet, then in goes the new seat, and finally the left door. I've left it off so far to make it easier to do what I need, especially when installing the seat. I'm pretty close to being able to have the truck move under its own power. As much time as I've put into it, even at minimum wage I probably could have bought a nice Caddy.

Try to check out the Duplicolor vinyl and fabric spray. Never tried it yet but I've heard from others that it works great.

Back