• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dressing up the Ramcharger

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
I am planning a big block in the next year or so, but in the meantime I wanted a better looking motor and a little more power. This 318 is a dog! 73K original miles on a EGR'd 2 bbl 318. I had an Eddy performer intake, Moroso tall fabricated aluminum valve covers and a bunch of 4 bbl carbs laying around, so I went to work making it look pretty. The only issue I ran into was the valve covers won't take a standard bolt or a stud/nut kit due to space restrictions. It really requires ARP small fasteners, but I wasn't going to spend the $75 plus shipping to get them. I went to Lowe's and found some stainless allen head bolts and washers for $17.88. What do you think? Is she purdy?

318 before.jpg318 before 1.jpg318 disassembled.jpgvalve covers and intake.jpg318 vc intake carb.jpg318 vc intake carb 1.jpg318 almost done.jpgValve cover bolt.jpgvalve cover bolt installed.jpg

318 before.jpg

318 before 1.jpg

318 disassembled.jpg

valve covers and intake.jpg

318 vc intake carb.jpg

318 vc intake carb 1.jpg

318 almost done.jpg

Valve cover bolt.jpg

valve cover bolt installed.jpg

I tried to sell them. They were originally on my 408 stroker, but they didn't fit with the brake booster. I tried to sell them, but no one bit. There are $680 worth of valve covers and breathers on that dang truck!

Speaking of brake boosters, u'll want to shop for the small booster when you swap to the big block. I had to do that when I put the 440 in the truck that's in my avatar. Even with that there's not much clearance. Or upgrade to a hydroboost setup. No worries with vacuum then. If you decide to put those valve covers back up for sale again after the swap I'd be interested. They would look good on a 340 I got here for one of my future projects.

She definitely look's purdier ( Is that a real word ? lol ) Those valve covers are killer ! How's she run now with the 4 bbl. ? Listen to "secret indy" about the brake booster . You "will" need a smaller booster with the big block .

I am pretty sure they make an offset booster bracket. I did buy a smaller chrome booster for my Dart, but these covers still wouldn't fit. I am still playing with the throttle linkage, trying to find a way to mount the cables and I'll have to make some extensions as well. Not running yet due to no freaking time! Anyone heard of a bracket that holds the TV open about 75% on a 904 so you can do away with all the brackets and linkage running up to the carb?

What about using a Lokar set up , or something like that ?

This is a temporary motor, so I'm trying to keep the money outlay down to gaskets and fluids. I am going to make a bracket that mounts to the tranny that holds the throttle valve at 75-80%. My brother did it on his Warlock and a few other cars. It raises the line pressure so it shifts a little more firmly, and the higher line pressures are better than a misadjusted linkage set up anyway.

Your Ramcharger has a 904 in it ? It should be a 727 . Or are you talking about your Dart ?

Oops. Not a 904. Not sure why I even said that. It's a 727. My Dart had a 904 but I switched to a GM 200R4 so I could have overdrive.

OK then , You could get the cable set up then like I suggested but leave the cable a little long . Because if and when you go big block with it then you could reuse it on the big block 727 . Unless you were thinking of swapping to a stick ?

Back