• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dodge Death wobble

Bob Cain

Reaction score
I was returning to Oregon from CA coming down a big rig beaten 4 lane when suddenly the front end of my 1997 3500 4X4 started shaking violently at about 60 mph it was unstoppable wobble shook the whole truck until i was able to get the truck stopped was a very scary thing i had my 4 year old grandson in the truck i see maybe Chrysler is going to recall newer ones but i guess older ones like mine are not considered in the plan the wonder bar was rebuilt. shocks,and tires were replaced just prior to this incident there is defiantly something wrong with the engineering in these trucks I have been a mopar loyalest for 50 years and am starting to wonder about the credibility of my convictions when my loved ones lives become in danger I installed 2 new stabilizers on it and had the front end rechecked so far no new wobble but it is always on my mind and i have lost some confidence in Dodge over this. All manufactures have some problems it's how they fess up and respond that is important where is our response from Dodge ? ( Hearsay is you have to expect things like this on heavy duty trucks )
I don't and should NOT and will not
BC

I would guess that it is your front hubs. After many miles on those trucks they seem to fail. I have two friends with diesel trucks with over 100,000 miles and it seems to be the second thing to go bad after the batteries.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my '95 and I can't quite recall what the problem was anymore,but I keep thinking it was my track bar.

Wobble

U R right those things are causes and have been gone over Hopefully the problem is solved Thanks much Guy's it's reassuring to know we were on the right track
Keep on truckin

This dude is a mechanic that does repair vids on Youtube here is how he fixed it on his ram.

[video=youtube;j7LeZTpBQuM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7LeZTpBQuM[/video]

[video=youtube;UeNTXvNq1VM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeNTXvNq1VM[/video]

[video=youtube;Vxpa_TRpuYQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxpa_TRpuYQ[/video]

Yeah that first video about the steering gear box stabilizer is nice. I just recently added one of those with the addition of a new Borgeson steering box plus I had new tire's installed at the same time and what an improvement. B-D Power makes them but only if your using your stock steering gearbox,but can be modified for the Borgeson gear box.

The shop where I got my work done told me of a local company who is also making these steering gear box stabilizer has them for the stock and the Borgeson steering boxes without having to do any mods to them plus cheaper than the B-D Power too.
I plan on adding one to my '01 Ram sometime soon. I will try and get pics of my set up later on.

Pics of my steering stabilizer bar set up from my ex 1995 Ram 3500. Sorry the pic is a little dark.

2012-02-16_17-23-01_428.gif

I own and I have fought this on several dodge trucks and tried it all. The fix is toe the truck out one or two turns, I have several trucks and found this to cure the problem. Tire wear is also a lot better. My one truck started doing it a 30k I bought everything new including tires and BD steering box bracket. I didn't figure it out until I watched my truck from another car to see what it was doing. When I saw the wheels toeing in one at a time and disappearing into the fenders from the bounce from side to side. I saw what it was doing. The Steering linkage being two piece in front of the rear is the cause. Being toed in causes a uncontrollable bounce from side to side from that split linkage. Try this fix. you won't believe the difference.

Also any vehicle toed in will wander on the road.

Last edited:
Back