• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Could use some input on 318 to automatic

memike

Reaction score
I just want to make sure I will not run into any unexpected problem, I have a 1985 ramcharger and a 1986 3/4 tun dodge truck 4 speed standard.
I am going to pull the ramcharger engine and put the 318 that is in the 3/4 tun standard truck. Will it be a direct bolt on to my crank shaft ?
I am thinking that the automatic will bolt right up to the crank to the fly wheel ?

Thank you for the reminder and help, I am just getting old and want to make sure that the brain has not forgot anything :ear::confused2:

I just want to make sure I will not run into any unexpected problem, I have a 1985 ramcharger and a 1986 3/4 tun dodge truck 4 speed standard.
I am going to pull the ramcharger engine and put the 318 that is in the 3/4 tun standard truck. Will it be a direct bolt on to my crank shaft ?
I am thinking that the automatic will bolt right up to the crank to the fly wheel ?

Thank you for the reminder and help, I am just getting old and want to make sure that the brain has not forgot anything :ear::confused2:
Yep Mike the only differance is that it will have a pilot bushing or bearing...it should not even interfere with the flex plate....like me get this staight...:confused2: is the standard truck motor going in the automatic Ramcharger?

Last edited:
Yep Mike the only differance is that it will have a pilot bushing or bearing...it should not even interfere with the flex plate....like me get this staight...:confused2: is the standard truck motor going in the automatic Ramcharger?

Yes, the 1986 standard truck engine will be going in the ramcharger and hooked up to the automatic :nod: and thank you for the :help:, I will pull the pilot bushing out of the crank and save it with the granny low 4 speed. Does this sound correct sir as I :juggle: ?
It's been a while for this ol fart and I will be assisting Creed keeping tools and wiring correct and enjoy freshening up the RV318 engine.

Are they both 318s? If so just remove flywheel and pilot bearing and install the flexplate.

It will work with no problems unless your going from a 360 to the 318 . If your Ramcharger has a 360 in it now then your gunna need a 318 converter and a motor mount bracket . But you can use the bracket from the 318 your putting in , so all you would need is the converer . Thats if your going from a 360 to the 318 . If it's 318 to 318 then your all set !

Are they both 318s? If so just remove flywheel and pilot bearing and install the flexplate.
Thank you jmaack727 :nod: , yall have me fixed up and confident :yo:

Last edited:
Pilot bearing can be left in the crank. It will not interfear with the torque converter at all. Just extra labour you don't really need to do.

Guess I'm late on this one Mike, looks like you alreay got the answer you need. Now get to work!:tea:

The shaft from the standard trans pulled it out along with the trans and all is great and the Ramcharger is burring and driving great secrt indy, Thank you

Guess I'm late on this one Mike, looks like you alreay got the answer you need. Now get to work!:tea:
We did get to work Stan, and what a hot couple days so I am on the :couch2:You should have seen our faces driving it off the hill to test the old automatic out Drove and shifted perfectly :humble:
I want to thank everyone for chiming in on this
and keeping me straight and confident :grouphug:

Back