• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Concern about dual tanks....

82c10

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying an '84 1/2 ton 4x4. The truck is clean inside and out and everything works. My concern is that while the tanks will switch over....the current owner hasn't used the second tank since he's owned it. It's been left on E for the last 5 years while he's just driven around town (only ever using the driver's side tank). At first I thought maybe that was a good thing as there won't be a lot of old nasty gas in the tank. however, now I'm conerned that having been left basically empty for several years that rust inside the tank will have formed and I'll end up clogging fuel filters and such if I fill the thing up and start running both tanks.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice on this? I was probably just going to run it and see what happens, but if anyone can think of any other reasons i should take more precaution, please let me know! Thanks!

-Don

I'm looking at buying an '84 1/2 ton 4x4. The truck is clean inside and out and everything works. My concern is that while the tanks will switch over....the current owner hasn't used the second tank since he's owned it. It's been left on E for the last 5 years while he's just driven around town (only ever using the driver's side tank). At first I thought maybe that was a good thing as there won't be a lot of old nasty gas in the tank. however, now I'm conerned that having been left basically empty for several years that rust inside the tank will have formed and I'll end up clogging fuel filters and such if I fill the thing up and start running both tanks.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice on this? I was probably just going to run it and see what happens, but if anyone can think of any other reasons i should take more precaution, please let me know! Thanks!

-Don

I don't know what to tell you there. One side of me says try it and see what happens and another side says don't do it. I would pull the tank out and check the inside to make sure it didn't have any rust inside. If it did you can replace it right away.

On a side note,I had an '86 Chevy with dual tanks and mine had the plastic covers/shroud to protect the tanks from rocks or anything on the road. Well those things would collect road grime and dirt inside the very front of these covers and rust out the tank where gas started seeping out. I ended up taking these covers off and cutting out the area's that built up the dirt and put them back on so I had some protection.
I only had the driver side tank that seeped gas from rust developing pinholes in it. Just ran a couple sheet metal screws with some sealant and was good for a while.

I don't know what to tell you there. One side of me says try it and see what happens and another side says don't do it. I would pull the tank out and check the inside to make sure it didn't have any rust inside. If it did you can replace it right away.

On a side note,I had an '86 Chevy with dual tanks and mine had the plastic covers/shroud to protect the tanks from rocks or anything on the road. Well those things would collect road grime and dirt inside the very front of these covers and rust out the tank where gas started seeping out. I ended up taking these covers off and cutting out the area's that built up the dirt and put them back on so I had some protection.
I only had the driver side tank that seeped gas from rust developing pinholes in it. Just ran a couple sheet metal screws with some sealant and was good for a while.
I would at the very least Put an in line filter in that side and keep gas in the other tank and a spare filter in the glove box.

Back