• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Clutch pedal squeak

niceolddart

Reaction score
So, I've tracked down the squeak. (When you depress & release the clutch pedal) The noise is coming from inside the bell housing area & sounds like the clutch fork squeaking. It does not do this when I first drive it, but after a few up-shifts & down-shifts it starts. It doesn't affect the way it shifts at all but is very annoying & I want to fix it. Has anyone had a similar experience? It doesn't look like there is a way to get into the bell housing aside from removing the slave cylinder. Do I need to remove the trans. to lube the pivot points of the release fork or is there a way to get lubricant in there without getting it on the clutch disc/assembly? If I have to pull the tranny, I am going to replace ALL the clutch components while I have it apart but trying to avoid that. By the way, it is a 2000 Dakota, 4.7 V8, & I'm guessing the NV3500. The truck has less than 51,000 miles on it.
Any in-put is appreciated.
Thanks

I had a couple of Dakotas where I had to ride the clutch when their throw out bearings went bad, for them not to screech like a dozen -cat fight
On my 93 I had to replace the clutch twice for this, each about 5000 miles apart from each other. There is really nothing with the clutch fork "to" squeak in and if itself.

I did have a wrangler once (same clutch components as my Dakotas took) that somehow broke its fork and it nearly rubbed thru the back side of the pressure plate. This was the original clutch it had left the factory with.
My experiences with the Dakotas were all "perfection" brand clutch kits. They definitely don't live up to their name. I replaced those the 3rd time with a LuK brand kit and never had another problem.
Though the most recent LuK brand kit I just got for my 85 d150 with it's slant 6, says "made in China" on the box ... I'm not sure I'm gonna use it, for that simple reason.

I had a couple of Dakotas where I had to ride the clutch when their throw out bearings went bad, for them not to screech like a dozen -cat fight
On my 93 I had to replace the clutch twice for this, each about 5000 miles apart from each other. There is really nothing with the clutch fork "to" squeak in and if itself.

I did have a wrangler once (same clutch components as my Dakotas took) that somehow broke its fork and it nearly rubbed thru the back side of the pressure plate. This was the original clutch it had left the factory with.
My experiences with the Dakotas were all "perfection" brand clutch kits. They definitely don't live up to their name. I replaced those the 3rd time with a LuK brand kit and never had another problem.
Though the most recent LuK brand kit I just got for my 85 d150 with it's slant 6, says "made in China" on the box ... I'm not sure I'm gonna use it, for that simple reason.
I'm almost positive it is NOT the T.O.B. The fork pivots on a ball stud that I think has a nylon type cover on it, & I believe THAT is what is causing the creaking/squeaking noise. I guess I'll have to pull the transmission out to see for sure. I will be installing a good H.P. clutch set up like a CenterForce, McLeod or SPEC set-up. I have used LUK clutch kits in customers cars over the years with NO issues ever, so installed one on a 74 Duster 360 I owned years ago (A real one, that I wish I never sold) but the LUK would not hold the power of the engine & would slip at high RPM hard shifts. It was much easier to pull the transmission on that then it will be on my Dakota.
I hear you about the Made in China stuff. It really pisses me off that so much of what we buy is made there because it is mostly JUNK!
They are NOT an ally of ours & we're funding them every time we buy their junk.
Thanks for letting me vent some too.

I've pulled tranny's on at least as many Dakotas as anything else and it isn't bad at all to do

Look at the bellhousing, some of the pivots have a grease zerk on the bellhousing. I have seen GM's with the NV3500 that were greaseable.

Back