• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

classic truck years

gray07

Reaction score
I was going to put this under reagular truck forum but didnt see a spot. Just wandering what year do you consider for a classic truck. I have an 86 dodge and i want a classic truck, and my wife keeps telling me that i have one. So what do you think, what year do you consider a classic truck, any make.

ram 2.jpgram 3.jpg86 ram.jpgIt's a 26 year old truck i would agree with your wife you already have one. To some an 86 is a new truck [the older car lovers in our hobby] i have been in this hobby for well over 35 years back in the early 90s when i built my first show truck [68/69 C10] most shows did not allow anything over 74 to enter [they were too new] now some shows still have a year cutoff but most allow everything and have year breaks to be fair,The Streetrod Nationals have opened up their year limits in the past 10 years to cars 30 years and older which means i could take my 66 cuda but i'm old school those shows are still [in my mind] for 49 and older my car is too new. So back on topic i personally think you have a classic truck and there are not many coming to shows/cruiseins due to the lack of aftermarket parts for those years [lowering kits,roll pans ect.] everything has to be hand made or hunted down i think they are cool trucks and make cool hot rods if done right.I say build on with your current truck i posted a few examples to entice you and show you that you already got a cool classic.

ram 2.jpg

ram 3.jpg

86 ram.jpg

I would have to agree as well. Anything before second gen I would consider classic. I think anything 20 years plus is considered classic.

To me I think an 80's truck would make a fine project. Its old but not to old were stuff is hard to find and you can go into any parts store and get most everything yet. The only downside to 80's trucks in my opinion is the but ugly trim options they had in those years.

Last edited:
Its officially 25 years in Virginia.

No offense but I dont consider anything with fuel injection "classic". So many things changed after injection came out. That makes for an interesting paradox though.. if a 86 truck is classic it would seem that all of the years that used the same body style should be classic? But injection was introduced in the same body style. I highly doubt just about any vehicle from 86 will ever be sought after or consider as valuable as say 1/2 of the cars from 1969.

My definition is 1975 and older since that is how the smog laws are defined in CA. Really it is the smog laws that restrict everything you would like to improve on your older vehicle so getting out from under them is the main classification that many people use. However, I am aware that some states such as Colorado require smog on every vehicle, no matter the year. Sucks for them.

Back