• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cab Assist Handles?

multimopes

Reaction score
I don't know what they are actually called, but..........My 99 Ram 4wd even at stock height, is hard to get into as it sits high. The passenger side has 2 handles, one on the A pillar and one over the door, but the driver side ain't got any. No wonder the clock spring broke in my steering wheel as I am sure the former owners all used it to pull themselves up into the cab. I just want to know if they even offered an assist handle for the drivers side of these trucks.; basically the same since 94. It's not like the truck isn't well optioned. I could swear it has/had a hemorrhoid massager, just kidding, but I have never seen one with the afore mentioned handle. Has anyone???
Then the question arises that might there be a reinforced section over the door for a grab handle that I could install myself? It would be nice if is, probably not. I just installed a pair of side steps to help my old body enter and exit. I had to do something. It's just a curiosity. I do know that there isn't a reinforced section in the drivers A pillar as I had to replace the tweeter speaker in there.

I had one on my '94, not factory for that truck, but I thought my buddy said he got it out of a '99. Some year before the next body style, but it was an option later in the morel run.

Thanks Locu. I guess this warrants a little more investigating on my part. I will remove the over door trim to see if there is reinforcement there. If there is, a junk yard search or EBAY might yield what I am looking for.

Thanks Locu. I guess this warrants a little more investigating on my part. I will remove the over door trim to see if there is reinforcement there. If there is, a junk yard search or EBAY might yield what I am looking for.
I'll ask my buddy if I remember. Thought the reinforcement was built into the handle, but I can't say for sure. I never should have sold that truck, the driveline was pretty damn solid, the transmission alone was worth keeping. That's what I get for listening to a woman, who later turned around and said she never told me to sell it. I'll see what I can dig up.

Thank you both. I took a quick peak at the over door area as I was leaving and the headliner goes all the way to a small rubber seal around the upper door, no plastic trim. The passenger side over door (strap) handle is inboard of the door area. I guess I should look there first to see what I hope is there on the drivers side. It doesn't make sense to me to put 2 handles on the passenger side; (what if you never have a passenger?); and nothing for the driver! Especially with all the goodies many of these trucks were loaded with. Even with the age of these trucks; many rusted up here in the salt belt; any left in junk yards are devoid of many parts. I went though 4 or 5 boneyards before I found the behind seat storage bins. I see dozens of them every day driving by. It's not the most important thing, I have been busy with a dozen other jobs including my sons 93 Wrangler and other vehicles, but I would like to do something as I also recently installed new bigger tires so it sits even higher!

Last edited:
Back