• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Auto Trans Oil

Aussie Challenger

Reaction score
My daily drivers trans needed a service and the type of oil now available came up, Dexron 111 or the new Dexron V1.
Well it got me thinking whether I could use the Dexron V1 in the 727 trans currently in my LRE. Haven't heard much either way but knowing that the newer oil is thinner but holds its viscosity better and is a longer service life oil. Also patents to GM have run out on the Dexron 111 so they want you to use the oil that they get a kick-back from.
Has anybody used the newer oil in their older transmissions, personally I am leaning not to use it in a high mileage trans but it may be OK for a rebuilt transmission so was needing input from those who have used this oil or know something about it apart from the propaganda peddled around on different companies sales brochures.
Then again a few are converting over to the A518/46RH transmissions and seeming that these trans are an updated and improved 727 some may have used this later oil in them.
As usual all and any advise is welcomed, thank you. :cool:

David
Aussie Challenger

Back