• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Anyone ever had the freakin Air Bag light come on for no reason?

multimopes

Reaction score
Help! I am pissed off over this and found nothing on Youtube for my truck which is a 99 1500 Sport. I pulled the damn fuses and at least the coming in and out with chime stopped. I put a piece of tape over the idiot light so it doesn't distract me, especially at night! There are no trouble codes and no sensors under the seats. Any Thoughts??? Here I am at work on Cinco Damiao, (however you spell it), instead of drinking beer and trouble shooting the problem. Question #2, By the way, where is the chime and can it be pulled out to silence it without causing another trouble code? I know it's not by the fuses, somewhere buried under the dash.
Thank You and give yourself permission to down a few cold ones!

When you say no codes your saying no air bag codes? I don't know if you have access to a scan tool to read air bag codes

Thanks for the reply, Sporty. You are correct; I have 2 scan tools but they can't read air bag codes. I would think that this kind of trouble would at least generate a general air bag code but no soap. The truck is, after all, 19 years old and was in an accident before I bought it. The left front fender was replaced and also the entire bumper and trim (with the wrong one); radiator somewhat bent but still functional and a new A/C condenser. I do not even see any wires or sensors going to the front of the truck or even the radiator support. Because of it's age, I'm thinking that it might be the clock spring. Unfortunately that's most likely the most expensive to repair or replace. Damn I think this is the last (newer) vehicle I'll ever buy. I like things simple like they used to be. What good is an air bag if you have a heart attack from stress before you even get in the vehicle! LOL
By the way, there are 2 auto parts stores in my town and neither can read air bag codes! The nearest dealer is 20 miles out and I am sure they will want one of my internal organs as a down payment. I would do it myself but I need the truck because my car (only 13 years old) is needing a little work as well. That reminds me, the trucks fuel filler neck rotted out the other day and the replacement is in the mail right now. I sure am glad I will never be bored with nothing to do! :wacky:

In my experience even the generic air bag code readers can be wrong. It's best to have it scanned at a dealership. Call them up and ask them what they would charge to just scan for air bag codes, no diag or repairs, just the scan.

Thank You for the responses. I guessed that it would be the clockspring because of the wear and tear from constant movement of the steering wheel in addition, it's the most difficult and expensive thing to repair as stated above. I called a dealer who said it would be $95.00 an hour to check it out. Screw them! Then I happened upon a local shop who plugged in their more sophisticated scan tool for free and confirmed my suspicion that it was indeed the clock spring. Now at least I know!

Not that difficult to replace. Make sure the electrical is dead. Don't want the airbag inflating.

The wires and plugs to the air bag light on my 2013 ram are under the driver's seat. If urs are too, mess with them and it might go off. itll come back on some time maybe a week, maybe a year

Thanks Mike, I saw that suggestion on you tube. I checked there first and there ain't no wires under my drivers seat, or passengers seat for that matter. Truck is a 99. I do know , however, the hemorrhoid monitor works great! Saved my butt many times....LOL I hope you know I am just kidding. Also, welcome aboard! :D

Back