• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

A518 or 46RH Trans Swap

Aussie Challenger

Reaction score
I am looking into fitting the 46RH trans into my '79 LRE, trying to keep it as close to original as possible, leaving it an auto. Should be a fairly straight forward fit up except it is a little longer.
When searching the net there appears to be many different modifications that can be done to this transmission but I suspect that most are not needed unless you intend to go racing.
The trans can be upgraded to 47RH (Diesel) specs like clutches but apart from that what is really necessary?
Trans-go have a kit, TFOD-HD2 which is supposed to be a very good upgrade, Sonnax also have a kit, SC-46/47RHE, do either of these kits have much in common except for the manual selector valve supplying oil in Park? Which is the better, I am leaning towards the Sonnax kit?
Living down under we don't have ready access to these transmissions like you North American cousins so little is known about them. I am looking to finding a transmission needing rebuilding and upgrading and have shipped across the water to me. Transmissions already reco'd are very expensive and from over here any warranty work if needed would be on me anyway.
PATC have a kit for using pressure switches and vac. switch connected to trans port which turns the trans into a fully operational auto for the O/D and Lock Up, beats flicking switches on and off.
I have read a couple of articles of these trans being fitted to sedans without many problems so fitting to my LRE should be reasonable seems as the trans was designed for Pick-ups and Vans.
Has anyone had anything to do with them or can comment on them?

David
Aussie Challenger

The A518 isn't a bad swap . You can find those transmissions in 89 to 93/94 Dodge truck's . But I would recommend putting in a switch in the cab so you can shut the overdrive off while your just driving around town and such . Another thing you could do is check into a gear venders unit and just keep the 727 you already have in the lil red . A friend of mine went that way in his 73 Runner and loved it .

I did one in my CrewCab & I'm getting ready to do one in my RamCharger My Crew got a solid 18-19 MPG hwy with a 360 Mag & 4.10's

Bear, I did think about just putting in an O/D only unit but I like the idea of the convertor lock-up as well. I will have to overhaul my 727 anyway as I don't like the way it is performing and with the engine modifications I will be doing with the engine overhaul I would prefer to get it all done at once if possible.
Yes I was considering putting in a lock-out switch, that is a good idea.
DodgeAddict did you rebuild your own A518 or get a reconditioned unit?
As I mentioned there is virtually no information here in Australia or transmissions, I know that the valve body on the 47RH has different springs to the 46RH so the 47RH valve body shouldn't be used on a gasoline engine but are the housings the same, I read somewhere and haven't been able to find it again that the diesel transmission uses an adapter? The clutch setup is stronger on the 47RH over the 46RH and can be interchanged though.

The diesel bellhousing is different from the small block bellhousing. No interchange without an adapter. If such a critter has been created

I put a 155,000 mile unit in & drove it for another 45,000 or more miles before it quit I made my own kickdown cable kit & switched my switches by the speedo

bursts to 100MPH + with 4.10's on the Interstate
Cruising 75 MPH & getting 18-19 MPG with 6 people in the cab & whatever parts I was delivering in the bed

My trans guy works for Dodge rebuilding transmissions
I just install them

Back