• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

86 RC 4WD Hubs

Your probably better off going to the junk yard and gutting out a pair of hubs off of a junk dodge truck rather then trying to find everything new . You'll need a flat head to pop the cap off , a pair of clip pliers for the clip rings , and just to be safe the socket and ratchet for the axle nut's . Before you go though , I'd make sure your Vacuum Actuator ( CAD ) is working properly . If not then you can grab that too while your there . Here's a brake down of a ford set up but it's pretty much the same as a Dodge . http://www.fordification.com/tech/images/schematics/nonlocking-hubs.jpg

Thanks bear. Ill take a look at that and learn something new! I've not had enough experience with 4x4's to know what I'm doing with this. It's a learning experience for sure. I like the manual hubs, but I don't want my wife traveling an hour away for the babies Dr appt in the snow and have to get out to lock them in if they're needed.

I hear yah on the locking hubs being a pain sometimes . I run locking hubs on my Ramcharger and it can be a real pain looking for a spot to pull over and lock them when you need them in the middle of a snow storm . But I plow with mine and being able to lock up my front axle definitely helps in my case . There not to bad to swap back . You should be able to handle it . Just pay attention to the way everything go's together and I think you'll be fine . If you have to print out the diagram and use that as a reference when your putting it together .

Duly noted. Thanks again. I appreciate it. Also, do you have any turn signal switches for it? Tilt column

Last edited:
No problem Chuckie . 86 , tilt column , I assume it has tilt ? If it does have cruise then I think I have one left . I'll have to check . But before you spend the money , Are you sure you need one ? I've had a couple of the 80's models that the little screws that hold it in had backed off . All it took was me taking the wheel off and re-tightening them and I was good to go . I drove my Ramcharger for about three years thinking I needed a switch while I was hunting one down and when I finally found one and took the wheel off I found one screw missing and the other one loose as hell . Replaced the screw and tightened the other one up and I was good to go . Just a thought . ...... By the way Chuckie , When did you pick up a Ramcharger ? I don't think I've seen it yet . How's your daughter ? She must be getting big by now .

No problem Chuckie . 86 , tilt column , I assume it has tilt ? If it does have cruise then I think I have one left . I'll have to check . But before you spend the money , Are you sure you need one ? I've had a couple of the 80's models that the little screws that hold it in had backed off . All it took was me taking the wheel off and re-tightening them and I was good to go . I drove my Ramcharger for about three years thinking I needed a switch while I was hunting one down and when I finally found one and took the wheel off I found one screw missing and the other one loose as hell . Replaced the screw and tightened the other one up and I was good to go . Just a thought . ...... By the way Chuckie , When did you pick up a Ramcharger ? I don't think I've seen it yet . How's your daughter ? She must be getting big by now .

Good to know. I'll check in deeper and find out for sure. I know the 4 bolts are loose that keep the column from wiggling around like a Bowl of jello 8)

I sold my gmc last week and bought the ramcharger the same day. We have a little boy on the way now and I need a safe vehicle to transport him and phoenix. She's growing like a weed!

http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/GTOluver5750/library/Ugly%20Betty

Last edited:
I think a Ramcharger is a good pick for you . You can't beat them in the snow and it's got a back seat to boot ! Is this your first one ? Other then the quarter , yours don't look to bad ! Are you going to fix it up ? ... Wow , now a boy on the way ? It seems like just yesterday you were telling me that it's a girl . Man time fly's ! Hopefully he'll be a little gear head like your daughter . lol

Time?! What is this you speak of?! Lol

Gearhead? I'm certain he will be.

My first RC, 3rd dodge truck overall. I certain plan to fix it up. I've wanted one since I was a kid!

I think you'll like having the Ramcharger . I've definitely got a soft spot for them . The wife say's I've had about 11 of them not counting the parts trucks . The earliest being a 77 but my two favorites were my 78 and my 85 . When you get started on yours you should start a build thread .

Right. I've already swapped out the power steering pump. Does that count? Lol I need a ds headlight bezel.

Everything counts ! Because it "never" stops . lol I just did the pump & box in my 84 last spring and I just did the drag link and changed the pinion angle of my front axle about a month ago . I "might" have one bezel left , I'm not sure because I just changed out my front end from the 92/93 style to the mid to late 80's style on my Ramcharger and I can't remember if I had one left over . I want to say yes but I'm not sure witch side it was and what year it was . If you want I'll check the next time I'm out in the garage and If I do I'll get a picture of it for you .

Back