• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

81 slant 6 to a 318 questions

Harry Goerl

Reaction score
Hello all, I am thinking about the v8 swap for my 81 2wd ram. Can I use my tranny and rear end or do I need. One out of a v8? Thanks and merry Christmas, Harry

If it's a stick truck then your gunna need a bell housing and and Z bar , and if it's an automatic then your gunna need a trany out of a small block . As far as the rear go's ? You can use the rear end thats in the truck but if you start building any power out of the 318 then you might want to think about a rear swap or building up the rear end thats in it . And Merry Christmas back . lol

Get Shumacher's engine swap kit and find a tranny that matches up to the V-8 motor you find.

Sure would like to hear that you decided to keep the slant 6, and go wild with it. Sure makes for good conversations. (Check out other forums such as HAMB. Check out the inline 6 groups. You can really do things (4bbl, Headers, Cam, etc.) with the slant six, especially if you have a 225 to start with

I've got a balanced, blueprinted .100 over 12.5:1 compression ratio /6! It's been ported as well, and is a monster motor that's never been fired up...
That said, I'm swaping the /6 out of my little '87 shortbed for a 318/727 combo. Schumacher's got great stuff, but this is a direct factory bolt in proposition here. I think using Schumacher's would be a waste of time, unless a guy couldn't find a v8 truck in a junkyard nearby...just my .02....

Back