• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

74 D100 with electrical gremlin

jpdepenbusch76

Reaction score
Went to fire old trusty rusty up and I have nothing... and I mean no headlights, none of the gauges move when the key is turned, dome light wont even come on.

Traced a little bit of wiring from the battery to starter relay and I have juice into the cab to the ammeter gauge. Cant find any of my wiring diagrams that would show me what wires at the junction block should have juice but I cannot figure out why all the sudden I have absolutely nothing. Battery reads 12.92 volts, as does the other end of the positive cable where it fastens to the relay. Same reading at the back of the ammeter gauge as well.

Not sure if it helps but pickup is a 318 with manual, still has points-type ignition also. Any help would be greatly appreciated, need to move firewood and have an antsy 5yr old that wants to take a ride.

OK you have almost 13 volts in the battery , but how's your ground ? Battery to block , battery to body , and block to body .

Grounds are good, voltage at both sides of amp gauge, voltage at batt wire on alternator. I have voltage at the headlight switch but no headlights, tried checking the wires on the "ribbon harness" going to ignition switch but cant get my meter leads in connector. I am out of ideas other than possibly the electronic control unit, but that was replaced approx. 3 yrs ago. Cant imagine it went bad already but like I said I am fresh out of ideas.

Take the bulk head connector at firewall apart and check for corrosion or burnt connectors. There is a separate 2 wire connector at steering column that feeds power to ignition switch wire's light blue and black 12 gauge the black wire provides battery power to the switch.

Back