• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

440 short block with 906 Heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robliepse

Reaction score
Contact seller
I bought this 440 with 906 heads for my 1972 Roadrunner and then found out it was build for a Ramcharger. It's been fully machined by D &A Machine and then he re-assembled the lower end and set the heads but I havent finished the final torque on the head bolts. The engine has brand new Speed-pro L2266f30 pistons, the crank was re-manufacturedView attachment 2974View attachment 2975View attachment 2976View attachment 2977 by sealed power with matching main and rod bearing. I've installed a brand new Competition Cam (specs attached). The block is casting number 4006630-440-7 which I believe is a 1978 RB block. The heads are 906 castings.
View attachment 2976View attachment 2975View attachment 2977View attachment 2979View attachment 2978View attachment 2976View attachment 2975View attachment 2977
$1,200 for everything.

I also have a Performer RPM intake, holley 750 carb, performance distributor, Morosso high capacity oil pan orange Mopar ECM that I can include for an additional $600

machining2.jpg

heads1.jpg

photo (11).jpg

valves.jpg

engine.jpg

IMAG0479.jpg

Why are you not putting this in your RR? A cam change, correct oil pan and pickup would be all it would take. Should run great with the 906 heads and premium fuel.

Why are you not putting this in your RR? A cam change, correct oil pan and pickup would be all it would take. Should run great with the 906 heads and premium fuel.
It's funny , I was thinking the same thing .

I bought the 440 from an acquaintance who was building for a Ramcharger and was planning on using all the other parts off the 440 that was in my GTX so I could put off having the original 440 rebuilt. Then I found out that the new engine and heads have standard compression and a more mainstream cam so to build the motor that I wanted in my GTX it would have to be taken back apart and about .030 taken off the heads and the block. Right about that time I found out the original 440 that's in my GTX is the original numbers matching 100% unrestored complete motor with the original VIN stamped in the block. So I have the broadcast sheet that matches the VIN plate on the dash which matches the body stamps on the cowling and radiator support. So here's my issue of the day. If I continue to build the new motor I'm going to have to keep the original numbered motor forever. I'm already cramped for space and the thought of having a complete 440 sitting around for the next several years isn't on the agenda. If I can get my $1,600 out of the new engine and all the parts I collected for it I could pay to have the original freshened up without going crazy on the HP. Simply bring it to the machine shop, have it honed, new bearings and rings, acid dipped and made to look back original and put it back in the car. The 1972 GTX is a very rare bird and I have an original numbers matching car. Finding the numbers on the block kinda changed the direction of the project. The motor not only has the VIN stamped in it but it's also the original exhaust, intake and the original carb on the motor and it ran fine and didnt smoke when I pulled it last month.

Do not know where you are getting engine work done but doubt if the $1600 will cover a freshening. Did my last one over 10 years ago did the work myself and spent more than that. Also your number matching 440 only has 8.0 compression. Understand storing it takes space and desposing of it would definitely be a mistake. Would still put the other engine in. I checked the piston # cutting another 60 thousand with 9.5 pistons and 906 heads finding fuel would become a problem. Also have a 72 GTX what is original will stay that way, but the 440 will wait for another day as it has been stored for over 15 years now. The only thing that would keep me for put in the fresh engine would be crankshaft. Manual and automatic transmission cranks are not the same.

Thanks 7, and I have to agree. I drove the car with the original motor about 4 weeks ago. I might be able to live with lower HP (for about a week LOL) knowing it was original. I also know it will cost more than $1600. If someone wants it I'll sell it, if not I'll keep it

Finding fuel won't be a problem with a bigger fuel line and pump. It's not really a money thing, it's keeping it original or going crazy with it. Thought about detailing the heck out of the original and putting it in the man cave

Sorry was referring to octane not quantity. 92 is about as good is it get here with out spending a ridicules amount for special fuels. Have got 9.5 compression with 915 close chamber heads 92 octane verily keeps it for hammering it self to death. Definitely will not run on Quick Trip gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back