• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

2008 Ford Ranger Help

Uppervalley guy

Reaction score
Good morning,

I am a new member looking for some help with a water pump problem. I have a 2.3L 2008 Ford ranger that has 250k on it. I am the original owner and perform all of my own maintenance. Recently things have started to go on the old girl, Alternator, belt tensioner, starter... Recently the Water pump seized and I have been unable to get it out of the block. I have tried everything, heat slide hammer, sledge, impact wrench, PB Blast... the damn thing wont budge. Has anyone had success removing a water pump this bad? If so what worked. At this point its looking like I'm going to have to chip it out chunk by chunk.....this thing is an absolute nightmare.

Thank you for any advice.

Best,
12411.jpg

Ryan

Last edited:
I had one on a 5.4 Ford that was really stuck and used a air hammer to get it to finally rotate a little, then I could work it out by getting behind the mounting ears. I don't know if you have a air hammer or access to one, but the two that I use hit really hard. The one gun is a .498 shank and has 1600 or 1800 bpm and will loosen anything. The other is a .401 shank and 2000 or 2100 bpm, it's Matco's big air hammer

I got the dang thing out. Used a long steel bar that fit the diameter of the bore and pried. It cracked it into 3 pieces and I chipped it away from the housing. Cleaned out the housing and the new pump fit like a glove without any leaks. This was an absolute beast of a job but my truck is up and running. Thank you for the tips!

Back