• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

2001 47RE Trans. question

niceolddart

Reaction score
2001 Dodge 2500, 2wd V10. Where is the transmission control computer located on these trucks? Does anyone do a quality re-man on these if I need to go that route? Long story, but trans has been acting up, not shifting, slipping, shifting late etc. I have changed the fluid & filter 3 times so far & that seems to cure it for a bit. Seem like the filter gets plugged up, & after I install a new filter & fluid, it works fine for a while.
I figure this time I'll check the band adjustment, shift solenoids (They have been replaced at one point before I got the truck) & any grounds that may be loose but don't know where the controller is, without really looking for it. I'm sure someone here knows. TIA
P.S. I did have to replace the radiator because the trans cooler inside the radiator was leaking into the coolant & vise-versa. It has the factory auxiliary cooler next the radiator also. They don't have T.C. drain plugs anymore (I checked this one just in case) & I wanted to flush the whole system out but couldn't.

On the 47re it's part of the engine control computer.
Definitely don't sound like computer related sounds more like rebuild time.
Largely the 46-47-48 RE function more like an old 727, the computer doesn't come much into play until 4th-lockup. 1-2-3 is still very much hydraulic, especially when it comes to applying clutches. the governor is computer controlled which is mostly shift timing. Not shift applying.

On the 47re it's part of the engine control computer.
Definitely don't sound like computer related sounds more like rebuild time.
Largely the 46-47-48 RE function more like an old 727, the computer doesn't come much into play until 4th-lockup. 1-2-3 is still very much hydraulic, especially when it comes to applying clutches. the governor is computer controlled which is mostly shift timing. Not shift applying.
Thats kind of what I wanted to here, so I'll do some basic checks & adjustments & see how that goes.
Thanks a lot for your input.

Well, I adjusted the bands per specs, was going to do common mods on solenoid's etc. but the solenoid pack was upgraded before I bought the truck & looks to be a nice billet aluminum housing. So, I replaced the filter & fluid with the recommended ATF+4 (The fluid that I drained out this time, did NOT smell good at all) & I left the factory plastic pressure sensor alone.
I wasn't confident that this would do much because, like I said, the fluid smelled very bad & I barely made it home because the transmission was acting up/slipping pretty bad, but I tried it anyway & seems to be working pretty good. I guess I'll find out in a few miles of driving & hauling heavy scrap. Maybe try some Sea Foam trans. additive. Their fuel additive worked well, so I'll give their trans. additive a try too.

Time for a rebuild. You can adjust bands all you want. But it will not do a things for clutch patch engagement. Also if your pulling heavy loads keep it out of od.

Time for a rebuild. You can adjust bands all you want. But it will not do a things for clutch patch engagement. Also if your pulling heavy loads keep it out of od.
I'm afraid you may be right but, I drove the truck around today just to circulate the Sea Foam additive I put in. I put about 20 or so miles on it & didn't have any slippage issues, but also had no load in the bed either. I will be pricing reman trans. I can't replace the truck for what a good transmission costs so I'll surely replace it if needed.
PS, I do take it out of O.D. when I'm hauling really heavy loads, mainly loaded bed & rarely trailers.

Yup. Same point I'm at with the 46re in my Durango. I swapped in a junkyard trans that solved my problem for 3 months (which proves my issue was inside of the trans) and then that trans went bad on different ways.
If it was an old 727 that didn't have electronics thrown into the mix it would have been easier to figure out the problem.
But I got into the "has to be electrical" trap.
I have my original trans apart, and found the problem and it was in a different part of the trans than what I was expecting, considering "how" it acted when it died. My rear clutch pack in the main case was toast. Was dang near welded itself together. With the shudder it had I was thinking it would be the sprag in the far back of the case.
I have a few one of those already, for as cheap as they are to buy, kind of a no brainer to replace while I'm in there.
I have some upgrade parts on hand to put in, like billet servos and accumulator, heavy duty bands And such but I still need to get the master overhaul kit and a fresh converter, the brass thrust washers and all the snap rings.

I'm afraid you may be right but, I drove the truck around today just to circulate the Sea Foam additive I put in. I put about 20 or so miles on it & didn't have any slippage issues, but also had no load in the bed either. I will be pricing reman trans. I can't replace the truck for what a good transmission costs so I'll surely replace it if needed.
PS, I do take it out of O.D. when I'm hauling really heavy loads, mainly loaded bed & rarely trailers.
I hate starting over. You know what you have otherwise in the present truck besides the trans... If you start over who knows what can of worms you will open by starting with a different truck....

If you have put in any fluid additives plan on replacing all and I mean all rubber parts.
I did use the Seafoam in the fluid when I changed it. I had a pretty heavy load in the bed Thursday & it was working OK, so we'll see.

Back