• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

2001 2500 5.9 V8, Two Wheel Drive, Rear Break Locking Up?

Auggie56

Reaction score
She's been a good truck ninety grand on the speedometer a bit of rust at the bottom pinch welds on both doors and bottom of tailgate. I've been keeping it at bay with some Eastwood stuff.
So some brake history, she on her second set of pads, both rear flexible lines all the steel lines including the ones to the anti skid brake control replaced. Those I bought from the dealer. What happened this spring
I was a expressway speed when traffic a head stopped I hit the brakes and the rear of the truck swung to the left, luckily it allowed be to avoid a collision as I drove off the side of the road. I inspected the
rear brakes and even though the calipers were free I replaced both of them. Fast forward to last week again I was involved in a panic stop and the truck again responded as before. Other than this the
brakes have always worked good. The one thing about these four brakes lines off the anti skid control. I had to special order them and one was longer that the original. Thinking back on it I wonder if somehow
I got these lines in the wrong position? I doubt it as all the fittings were different and I'm sure I replaced them one by one. This work again was done a couple of years before the brake malfunction. As far as the
brake light on the dash it lights up before I start the truck with the key in the run position goes out when started. Any suggestions or help would be gratefully appreciated.

DSCF4934.JPG

Last edited:
On this newer stuff this could be about anything brake related. I take it no ABS codes are showing.

On this newer stuff this could be about anything brake related. I take it no ABS codes are showing.
All I know is that the red brake warning light goes out when started. As far as computers I have little knowledge of them. Unless someone has any other advice I guess I better get it scanned.

Thanks

Usually if it sets a ABS code it will bring on the ABS light. The only time it has a issue is during a panic stop....correct? Have you tried to duplicate it by doing some hard stops?

"lines replaced, including ones to antiskid brake control" You talking the block under the hood or the valve with the arm that connects to the rear end underneath? The valve with the arm has nothing to do with "anti skid".... it is a height sensing proportioning valve, doesn't let full flow to back brakes unless the truck is pretty heavily loaded and back of truck dragging..... Chevy used to run them on the 3/4-1 tons back in the 70s/early 80s.... I've seen many of those bypassed, with no ill effects.
I see yours is disc brakes all around being you mention "calipers"..... it is doubtful this is an ABS related issue.
I forget.... does this truck have brake shoes within the rotor "hat" for the E brake???? If so I'd get a hard look at them. they like to delaminate from the metal backing, and then the loose pieces wedge under the other side within the "drum", which is what locks the wheel...... I have a Ford that got towed in to work today for exact same issue.

Usually if it sets a ABS code it will bring on the ABS light. The only time it has a issue is during a panic stop....correct? Have you tried to duplicate it by doing some hard stops?
Same thing with a forty five MPH panic stop. The trucks front end swings to the right that tells me the right rear is locking up. If it was a front brake I would feel it in steering wheel?

it could be a front wheel locking up to cause a pull.
Pull the back brakes apart, rotors off and see if the E brake shoes have come apart from the metal backing and when the loose piece(s) wedge between existing "good" show, instant skid and ABS won't bail you out.....

Same thing with a forty five MPH panic stop. The trucks front end swings to the right that tells me the right rear is locking up. If it was a front brake I would feel it in steering wheel?
You might not feel it in the steering wheel. Check both front brake hoses and calipers

Cycle the ignition key on/off, on/off, on/off three times within 10-15 seconds and it will display any codes that have been set, on the odometer display. (Do not crank the engine, just go to ignition ON position and back to OFF 3 times).

Not sure if it will display ABS codes or not, but I know that power train codes will be displayed.

Back