• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1st gen Dodge truck cab mount bushings

niceolddart

Reaction score
I'm going to replace the cab mount bushings on my 87 D250 soon. All the mount brackets are in good shape, just the bushings are shot. I want to know who has done this to their 1st gen Dodge & what I should be aware of. I looked to see if I could find any video of anybody doing this on a older Dodge P/U, nothing, all Chevy or Ford or newer Dodges. I've already sprayed down the bolts & nuts w/PB'laster weeks ago when I repaired the drivers floor & installed new floor mat, so I hope they won't be too much trouble. It doesn't look like a very difficult job, but I've thought that many times before. Any input would be good. Thanks

Never mind. I did the job today & it was easy. All the bolts came out no problem except for the radiator support mount bolts, (would have been easier with two people) but everything worked out good.

I'm not sure if you have as much of a rust problem in Australia, as we have in the "Rust Belt" area of America, I live in Pennsylvania, The bolts tend to get rusted in place, so soak all the bolts down good INSIDE THE CAB with penetrating oil, there are 4 in the cab (Reg. cab) & 2 on the radiator support, & let it sit for a day if you can. Measure about how long the bolts are & have new ones handy in case any break. I only had to replace 1 because of rust. (I got lucky) Other than that, It was a very easy job, just look at where the washers are placed when you remove the originals, do one at a time, loosen but leave ALL the bolts in place, & remove only the bolt from the bushing you are working on. Make sure you jack the cab up in a good solid place, I used the rocker panel pinch welds.

Thanks... car was obviously originally in US. Was imported to AUST in 2008. We don't have a rust belt. We don't salt roads here.
It doesn't seem.too bad just the usual spots in the cab floor... with the usual bad US repairs we see on alot of imported cars.
No offence meant but some of the floor pan repairs that seem to pass in the USA would see a vehicle put off the road in AUST. Mine has flat tin welded over the top from the inside and who bogs a floor pan?

Attachments

• 20210427_162728.jpg
    20210427_162728.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 201
WOW what job! Sometimes that's all that's needed to pass Safety Inspection over here. Remember too, that it was probably "just a truck" when the floors were patched. At least the holes for the cab mount bolts weren't covered over. And by the way, I've seen WOSRE floor patches. MINE weren't even fastened to the floor when I pulled up the rubber mat & it was thin steel, like 26 gauge. My truck is just a ratty 3/4 ton, 2wd scrap hauler, but I did buy it from the original owner. Truck has 200,000 miles on it. Your cab mount job should be pretty easy.

I got my cab mount bushings from LMC also. They are made by Energy Suspension who probably make the engine & trans. mounts you want too. Polyurethane.

Screw LMC. Still waiting for my catalog for over 10 years on my dodge truck. They don't acknowledge that dodge even built a truck before 1994.

Back