• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1997 Ford Diesel Dually eratic door lock

justwondering

Reaction score
Okay. Okay. So I am openly flaunting the 1999 to current restriction on this forum... but I need a few ideas.

The passenger rear door (yes it is a four door) does not always unlock when I press the unlock button. It always locks correctly. But maybe 1 time out of 5 it will not unlock.

I would like to think it is a mechanical issue rather than a 'possessed' truck that somehow knows when I have a full cart of groceries and try to unlock the door.

What should I be looking for?

When it acts up, the rear door will not open. I have tried all the buttons on all the doors including the locked one and nothing opens it until i push lock/unlock several times.

It can be from the dongle or from the inside buttons, but it will take 9 or 10 times of lock/unlock. Unless it is on one of those days when it is really annoying and then it won't open at all. Then a few days later I'll try it again and everything is fine.

I'm confident something is failing/cracked/not making contact but not sure where to start.

Back