• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1991 dodge dakota v8 smog pump removal

79dodge4ever

Reaction score
I'm going to list some information that saved my behind today, in hopes that it will help someone else

the 1991 dodge dakota v8 uses an LA 318 which is the old style non magnum engine for those who may not know

they do however run a very unique serpentine belt setup specific to the 1991 model year, the magnum belts are longer and have 7 ribs they won't work

I recently purchased one of these trucks and it had a smog pump that was seized and run by all one belt, the truck was 100 miles away from home with little to go by

after some research I've found that a 83.5" belt with 6 ribs will fit to a "T"

there are quite a few cars that run this belt, one being a ford focus with 2.0 4cyl engine with Air conditioning

this is a 835k6 6pk2120 belt

That's the kind of information I like to see! My mom has an '08 Dakota 4 door 2 wheel drive with a V8, 318?? It runs like the proverbial striped butted ape. Step on the gas a bit too hard and it'll chirp the tires. Went to my sisters over Thanksgiving and running about half of the 500 mile trip at 70 on the interstate and the other half 65 mph in the Ozarks and through several towns, it averaged 20.4 mpg. I made several trips to Colorado with it last year and with about half at 75 mph on the interstates and the other half at 65 on two lane roads, I averaged 21.4 and 20.8 mph respectively. Running 60 it'll average around 24 mph, which ain't too bad for a truck that'll haul butt when necessary.

Back