• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1985 360 intake manifold problems

Tad

Reaction score
I’m here in California, took the 85 ram charger down for smog and failed. Apparently the port on the intake where the EGR valve goes is totally clogged with carbon. They just called and said they want to take the intake off in order to clean it out properly. I’m wondering how difficult this is or if it’s just cheaper to buy a new intake manifold and if so which one I should get? I’m definitely familiar with the engines so taking the intake off would not be a problem however if a new intake manifold would be better I would rather do that.

What is your time worth or theirs and how bad do you want a new manifold? Even though it is not that hard to do it can get time consuming. Hammer, chisel and drill should do it.

Thank you guys. I can totally do the work. They wanted like $450 to do it. No way!!!

Was that price including the new intake or just cleaning the old and putting it back on?

Was that price including the new intake or just cleaning the old and putting it back on?
That was for 4 hours to remove and clean the existing intake. I looked at starting it last night and right now my time is more valuable so I’m having the shop do it. Not use to working in and around the spaghetti mess of wires and hoses.

That was for 4 hours to remove and clean the existing intake. I looked at starting it last night and right now my time is more valuable so I’m having the shop do it. Not use to working in and around the spaghetti mess of wires and hoses.
I am wondering how they came up with the four hour time. They do this for a living can not imagine how they can up with four hours.
Just found a new Edelbrock 2040 with gaskets for 206.95 at Summit Racing. Would require four barrel carb. Still leaves them a ridicules 240.00 to swap an intake.
Am Auto Zone gasket set was less than 20.00. Just not sure what is happening to the other 430.00.

thats for the personal training cost to get you to bend over, touch your toes and stay there a few minutes...

Back