• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1981 slant six carb

Dan Brooks

Reaction score
Anyone know where I might find one? and what carb would interchange onto this motor. has lean burn on it but would like to tear it all out. Thanks, Dan.

getting rid of lean burn isn't a big deal at all, but is this WHY you are needing a carb???
Unlike the V8s with Lean Burn that lack a proper vacuum port for a vacuum advance, some slants still had the right ported vacuum port for this.... which Lean Burn setup do you have? Do you have an O2 sensor? a mixture control solenoid? Some had that, (mostly California and hi altitude) most didn't..... just a idle SPEED solenoid. My 85 is that way, no mixture solenoid or O2. if so you may be able to make do with what you have currently at least for now.

Next Q.….. 1 barrel or 2? If it was mine, Id be hunting down a 2 bbl intake for it and put a 2 bbl on it whether that is what you currently have, or not. Until I found one for a decent price (some guys think they are worth gold, they're not) I'd run what you have for now once the ignition is swapped over.
I'm doing that very thing right now, on my 85, going with the factory style 4 pin Mopar ECU, since that's what I have laying around.....
If you have the 1 bbl and are looking for something "for now" and you find that you cant use the existing carb, Id look for a Holley 1945 1 barrel (very much "like" what is on there now) from a '74-78 slant 6.

Back