• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1980 front clip exchange help needed

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
I just bought a 1977 pick up for parts. I am going to use the whole 77 cab to replace my 1980 cab. Does anyone know what is involved in switching the grills? The 77 has turn signals within the grill, the 80, has signals below. Thank you.

I assume your using the 80 grill and wiring harness . Does your 80 have round head lights or is it the quad set up ? If it has the quad set up then your going to have to use the 80 radiator support as well as the front valance that go's between the grill and the bumper .

Thanks for the reply. I can't decide what to do. I bought the two tone green '77 in order to rebuild my '80 D200, that I have had since new. But the 77 is too good to tear apart. So now I'm sitting with two trucks! I've already got too many vehicles. Oh, the 80 has round headlights.

I have build around 15 dodge trucks over the years, build out of 72-93 parts, most will work with some mods. You have to use the 80 front valance and should use the 80 rad support, the headlamps are located slightly higher on 79-80 supports, you can get the 80 grill to go on the 77 support but the lamps will be at the very top of the opening,doesn't look good and for lamp replacement or aiming of lamps grill would have to be removed. If your looking for orginality complete wiring is differnt and vent windows are different.

Yes, the complete doors will fit. Starting in 78 the vent windows hinge and latch different but will interchange, meaning that you can leave the doors as they are or if you want the correct vents you can use your 80 ones in 77 doors, in my opinion the 77 and early ones were much better as they sealed better from wind and rain.

Thanks Bear, and Ramtough. Since the doors on both trucks are of equal quality, I thought I'd keep the 80 doors, as I have to repaint the green 77 doors, to make it a two tone brown truck, - interior has to go from green to brown also. The 80 also has the larger mirrors, for which I paid $61.00 extra for in 1980! Oh, the vent windows were really bad.but I forgot about that.

Back