• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1957 D100 short/narrow box valance

72*birdman

Reaction score
I'm thinking about the valance I'm going to build for the 57 D100 short narrow box project. I wanted to run a couple ideas I had out there and see what the responce would be. The 1st shot is of Mopar Joel's super 57 showing the tail lights in the stock location. I will have a similar set on my pickup with the one on the drivers side having the clear box on the base of the light housing to illuminate the licenes plate frame area. These chrome nostialga lights are round with the word stop in the center which is back lighted when the break is applied. The second photo shows the set of 71 Chrysler Newport taillights I am thinking of using framed below the front bed panel so I could get the distance set on how far apart and how low the 71 newport lights will wind up. The separation is about right but they will be mounting into the valance about 2" lower than they are in the photo. I was going to use a STS-4 Sequential Turn Signal kit on each 4 bulb light so they will illuminate one bulb at a time from the first inside light next to the dual backup lights (1 on each Light) on out in 4 steps in the direction of the turn. Like the Cougar and Messtangs back in the day. The third photo shows the valance I built for my 57 D100 wide box. Its to give perspective of what the final product will look like. The Narrow box is 2" narrower than the wide box. So I used the bed front panel as I said earlier to position things. On the short /narrow I'm thinking the final product wil be an inch to possibly 2"s shorter heighth wise comparing the 70 satellight to the 71 newports. The width difference shows up in the distance between the lights and the lack of the challenger backup light. The round nostalgia lights will be the stop, brake and driving lights. The 71 newports will be driving, turn and the backup lights.

Here are my questions and concerns.
1. With both sets of lights in the small area will it be to much?
2. Is the STS-4 kit what puts it over the top or sinks it.
3. Has anyone done one of these STS-4 kits? Any thing you can pass on.

valance 57 narrow box 001.jpg

valance 57 narrow box 006.jpg

images[6].jpg

What you run for light's will end up being a matter of personal taste . Me , I can remember driving truck and loving it when I was down south driving at night and seeing other rig's on the road with there nice shiny trucks and all the light's reflecting off the chrome . Not like up here in the north were you look at most of the rig's and wonder how they can drive something so dirty and messy . Some of them don't look like they've ever been washed . Personally on your truck , I think the narrower valance would look good but the plate hanging down ( Please don't take this the wrong way ) look's like an after thought . Suppose you did away with the Challenger reverse light and put your plate there ? You could have it recessed in the valance between the Newport lights and you could use the reverse lights in the Newport lights .

Thanks Bear I appreciate your thoughts. On the blue truck you might be right it does kind of look like an after thought. But there was a reason I did it that way. The plate mount is off a 72 satellite and they were hinged so you could access the gas filler tube under them. I was going to eventually have a hidden reciever hitch there and that way I've got atleast the license plate to cover it. But its another thing that back burner can't seem to get cooking so now I've just got a wire tie on it so it will stay down. 72*birdman

Hey birdman , I was just doing some research to see if I could give you a few ideas and I came across this article . Now "this" is done in my taste ! lol And if I was going to build a 57 then other then the 340 under the hood . It would look just like this one . Nothing against the 340 TA motor , I'm just on a big block kick right now . I've been thinking of having my Warlock sit like this one just about an 1" to an 1 1/2" higher in the rear . Just to give it a little rake . What do yah think ? http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/featuredvehicles/trucks/1957_dodge_d100_fargo/

Back