• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1945 flathead to slant 6?

bm167

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has installed a slant 6 in a Dodge truck around the 1945 era.
I assume all the engine and drive train mounts would have to be fabricated.
The reason I plan on using a slant 6 with manual transmission, is to reduce the chance of adding to much stress and twisting the original frame. I plan on leaving the truck in as is condition,but replacing the flathead with a better and a little more powerful engine.
Any info or ideas would be appreicated. As you have guessed, this is my first project with a vintage vehicle. I'd like to rat rod the truck a little but without all the extensive modifcations and work. Thanks

Here is a bump for ya. It don't look like anyone has done the swap. So I guess you will be breaking new ground. Wish I had a truck like that to try it myself. Good luck.

It is not a popular swap for several reasons. The /6 consumes alot of space both in width and length. If your original 230 is dead then consider installing a 25" six from a Chrysler or DeSoto like a 251 or 265. As you might guess the bigger six is 2" longer than your 230 but in most applications moving the radiator forward is pretty straight forward.
Additionally, installing an A or LA is also pretty easy but then, as with the /6, you will be changing the trans and rear axle to accomodate.
Some of the swap details are covered in my web site:
www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com

I tried to post a response yesterday but it did not 'magically' appear, so this could be a double...

Don't worry about the frame, it is plenty tough.
You might re-think the /6; it consumes alot of space both length and width. If the 230 is dead and a rebuild is not in order then go directly to a 318-360 v-8. The /6 simply doesn't have that much more power for all of the work involved.
If you like the flat inliners then consider the larger Chrysler-DeSoto 25" engines. Mostly a bolt-in except for moving the radiator forward 2" or so. These will bolt to your existing trans.

If you are set on a more modern inline 6 then look at the Jeep 4.0L. Compact and reasonably powerful with a 180 hp rating.

If you need an idea of what all might be involved in a swap like yours I have some information on my web site.

I have a 42 Dodge pickup myself. I would have to agree wayfarer's suggestion with going with a new Jeep engine. The slant six is a fairly long engine, I am sure with a lot of modifications it could be done, but like Wayfarer said its a lot of work for not much more power. I think if you wanted to do the v8 route the frame is plenty strong enough as long you keep your build to cruiser specs. If you start building the engine for big HP than of course you will need to strengthen the frame as necessary. My truck is what they considered a 3/4 ton back in the day so I am basing my knowledge off of that, I dunno if you have a 1/2 ton if the frame is the same or not. As for my build I am putting a 360 into mine but I am not far enough into my project yet to recommend that or not. Its an engine that I built up for a dart but I am trying to sell the dart and I have a lot of money into this engine so its going to fit into the 42 no matter if you know what I mean! LOL Where is Varna, Illinois is that north or south?

Back