• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cummins Crew Cab Build

I'll tell yah , I could have used someone like you way back when , when I had my shop . I've taught a few people over the years in building cars and trucks and I know it when I see a person with a natural mechanical ability . Even if "they" don't know it themselves yet . Plus it doesn't hurt that you have good taste in what brand vehicle's you like . lol Keep learning and keep up the good work .

Thank you very much. I definitely hear ya about finding people with a natural mechanical ability. It's hard and you usually go through a few before finding a good one.I feel fortunate that I'm like that. I'm not sure whether it's more because I enjoy working on things or that I just can't bring myself to pay someone else to do it for me. lol

Your very welcome . Credit were credit is due . Some people have it and some people don't and some people want it but never quite get it . Me myself started when I was 12 working for a body shop after school and summers . That's were I learned autobody , welding and fabrication , and painting . I even learned lead work . From there I went to work for as small garage were the owner and his family were into street racing and drag racing . I found out then that I knack for making cars go fast , very fast . Then from there ( me being me ) and not always liking what I got back when I sent it out learned how to do interior work . While working for a trim shop , I was also working nights and weekend's with an old school upholsterer who was also into drag bikes . But even with all this experience , the most important thing I think I've learned is that no one knows everything . There's always more and new things to learn everyday . So keep doing what your doing and you can only get better and your darn good now . You've definitely got it ! .......... P.S. , Believe me , I don't say that to everyone .

Once again thank you. I couldn't agree more about learning new things. Something I think everyone should try and do. Helps keep the mind sharp. Sorry a little slow on the response, been crazy busy with work. Things have calmed a bit now so finally getting time to myself. This project is going to take a little bit of a back seat right now. Started building a second one except it's just going to be stock looking.( Not that I don't have enough to do on this one.) lol. Nothing custom but a Cummins conversion. It's going to be for resale only.

No big deal on the response time . You gotta pay the bill's . I've been kinda busy myself "trying" to work on my to-do list myself as we speak . It never ends ! Every time I look at my Warlock , I see it getting dustier and dustier just sitting there in the garage . I know one of the things I have to get done is put a new fuel sender in it . Since I've had it I've run out of gas about three or four times , and it hasn't even left my drive yet ! lol As soon as the Dart is sold I have a list of things to get for and to do to it so I can start driving it and fine tuning it before I can get it up to the track and get some times on it . I already know that I'm going to want to put a bigger cam in it this winter but I want to see what the purple shaft that's in it does first . That way I'll see if I'm going in the right direction with any changes I make . Well good luck with your project / project's and keep us posted .

Well managed to get a little bit done on my side project. Got the donor truck pulled apart, axles installed onto the crewcab frame and then took it to have the springs rearched. Dragged it to work and sandblasted it. Now just have to wait for an opening in one of the paint booths to put some paint on it.
012.jpg
015.jpg

012.jpg

015.jpg

Maaan that truck is going to be better then any brand new truck out there as well as ten time's as strong and dependable I bet . Look'in good :cool2:

Thanks. Nice to start with a clean slate so you know what you're working with. The guy I bought the frame from said it was sandblasted, primed and coated with pore 15. Well when I sandblasted it, the coatings just flew off so whatever was on it wasn't very good. I will be priming it with an epoxy primer so I know it will last a long time.
Aquired a set of tube steps off a 2010 Ram today for the right price, free. Think I might try n use them on this truck. Just have to fab up some new mounting brackets.
014.jpg
015.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

Maybe he didn't prep it right ? How's was the frame "under" his paint ? Was it rusted at all or could see that he really did sand blast it at least ? I can't say yet on the steps . I think I'd have to see them mocked up first before I could say yeah or nay on those .

Frame was clean under the paint so I'm pretty sure it was sandblasted. Was probably just a cheaper primer on it. Yeh gunna have to mock the steps up first see how they look. The price was right so no loss if I don't like them.

I'm glad it was clean underneath . You never know what some people try to hide sometimes . You'd be amazed at what I've found under heavy paint , under coating or even roofing tar .

Well not a lot of progress to report. Been plugging away slowly. This is how it sits right now.

007.jpg

007.jpg

Built myself a homemade borgeson steering shaft. Used the center out of steering column I had and the steering shaft from the 93 donor truck.

028.jpg

I pulled out the center of the steering column shaft and cut off the splined end for the steering wheel.
032.jpg

Then drilled a hole and welded a nut on for a set screw.
033.jpg
035.jpg

Cut the other end off the steering column shaft.
034.jpg

And then cut the rag joint end off the 93 steering shaft with about a 2" stub left on and slipped it into the steering shaft and welded it on.
037.jpg

And all done.
038.jpg

028.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

035.jpg

034.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

Total cost of $35 for the steering universal that I picked up at Back To The 50's in June when I was there.

Wow , That look's better then anything you could buy off the shelf ! And cheaper too ! lol

Thank you. Yes cheap is good. lol. If I can build it or fix it myself then I will. Obviously there are some things you just have to pull the pocket book out for but that's part of the hobby. I've gotten the fuel tank in and the fuel lines run, chassis wiring harness is in and new brake lines run also. Bit by bit it's coming together.

Great build!! Thanks for all the pics and progress reports. I like reading through and seeing pics of what's been done, and plan on doing. Thanks

Thanks 85Dodge. Much appreciated. I just wish it could go a little faster. lol

They never get built as fast as we'd like them too . But hang in there it'll be done and you'll be driving it before you know it . Also it's good that your trying to document the build . You'll be able to look back and see what it took to get to that point . Trust me , I've wished to many times that if I had just taken the time to at least have taken a few pictures during a build . But nooooo I was in to much of a hurry to get it built . Take your time , Do it right , and take a few pictures along the way . It'll get done and you'll have something to be proud of in the end .

I know it's been a loooooong winter , anything new on the project "secret indy" ?

Back