• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cummins Crew Cab Build

Now because I'm making this truck to look like a 78 I had to do some modifying so the grill wood fit the 93 rad support. My solution to this was to cut the light pocket area out of the 93 and weld in ones out of a 78.
017 (7).jpg

I cut behind the intercooler support so that when I weld the new pcs in you won't see where the connection is from the front side.
018 (7).jpg

Then cut out the 70's and start tacking it into the 93.
026 (5).jpg
027 (5).jpg
028 (5).jpg

017 (7).jpg

018 (7).jpg

026 (5).jpg

027 (5).jpg

028 (5).jpg

All tacked together. I will take it to work to finish welding it. My welder at home is just a cheap thing.
025 (5).jpg

Everything seems to line up good. Going to be some clearance issues to address with the signals.
029 (5).jpg

025 (5).jpg

029 (5).jpg

Everything seems to line up good. Going to be some clearance issues to address with the signals.
View attachment 3030[/QUOTE]
What clearance issues ? For the bulb socket or the whole light housing ? If it's just the socket then can you use a whole saw and just make a whole in the support right behind it ?

The intercooler support runs right on the edge of the opening for the signal light. The signal won't seat into the opening. What I'm probably going to do is cut the section out of the support that's interfering, reverse it and weld it back in creating a pocket. That should create enough room for the signal.

Here's the rad support all welded up and intercooler mounted.
008 (3).jpg

I moved the intercooler supports up and in to gain as much clearance as possible for the grill.
009 (4).jpg

008 (3).jpg

009 (4).jpg

Mounted the support up and some fenders to the puzzle.
004 (3).jpg

These fenders were just for mock up. Have a better set for the finished product.

004 (3).jpg

While the truck was together I figured it would be a good time to figure out what I'm going to do about bumpers. Done a bunch of searching on line but came up pretty much empty handed. Definitely not much aftermarket support for these trucks. So, I figured I'd try n fab some up myself. Bought a sheet of 3/16" plate and had it sheared into strips and also put a 45 degree bend in 2 of the strips. Made a template up for the top and traced it onto a pc of the plate.
019.jpg

Used the plasma cutter and cut it out.
020.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

Here I have the bumperettes welded on. I mounted it on the truck temp. to figure out the positioning and mounting brackets.
006.jpg

mounting brackets.
003 (3).jpg

006.jpg

003 (3).jpg

This is a filler to cover the opening between the bumper and back panel on the truck box.
073.jpg

And all welded on.
009 (3).jpg

073.jpg

009 (3).jpg

Couple little things left I want to finish up on the back bumper but that's pretty much where I'm at with the truck right now. Will keep workin on it and posting as time permits.

MAN ! That's some nice welding and fab work on those bumpers "secret Indy" . Are you a welder by trade ?

Thanks "bear". No I'm not. Just one of those things I picked up along the way. Lots n lots of practice. Watch and ask questions from the real welders when I got the chance. A definite asset when you're working on these trucks.

Back