• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Swapping distributor

OSDart

Reaction score
I've got a 1986 D-150. I'm wanting to swap the factory ignition system out for the early Mopar electronic distributor, box and ballast resistor. I would like to keep the swap as "factory looking" as possible. Can I remove the existing factory ECM and the wiring without adversely effecting anything?
Which wires should I splice into for the new ignition module, resistor and distributor?

I have done this on a customers truck. I removed the ECM, left the harness and connectors. I believe I pulled the ignition wire I needed for the new ignition from the computer harness. A wiring diagram is a must, it will make life a lot easier. I would have to find I diagram to walk you through it

Been done more times than anyone can count on lean burn equipped mopars.
When I do them I always do take my ignition feed from the bundle going to the original lean burn, sometimes I untaped the bundle and cut away the excess, sometimes I just tuck the original wiring back but I always throw that computer in the trash.
On my 85 with a slant 6 , the harness was badly butchered anyway, so I went to the junkyard and found the best looking harness there (was on an 84 1 ton w/a v8) so it never had lean burn from the start. I did have to pop 2 wires out of the bulkhead and swap positions (something to do with the wiper system) and I did have to extend a couple of wires but was pretty much plug and play.

I simply switched the engine harness. But if you're looking for it to look original that may not work.

For simplicity, I think converting a mid 70's Mopar electronic distributor to HEI will be the easiest and can be made to look factory stock. All that is needed is a 12v switched wire. I've worn out the factory manual wiring section and I can't see any problems in deleting the two ECM connectors and related wiring. However, it might pay dividends to cut one wire at a time!
There is a small ivory box behind/below the passenger dash air outlet that has a decal that says to replace the 9v battery. Anybody know what this is for? Either I've missed seeing this addressed in the manual or it's not there.

If I remember right the ivory box with the 9v battery is for the emissions light. When the light came on you checked the system then replaced the battery.

With all the ECM wiring removed, I'm guessing a new 9v battery ain't gonna turn that light off! Might have to remove the bulb or resort to the old black tape trick.

Back