• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Maybe time to change the steering column again.

7mopar

Reaction score
Can't find a turn signal switch. I thought anything GM could be found. But apparently I was wrong.
Why oh why did Dodge put GM tilt columns in their trucks?
So any one out in no where land know where a turn signal switch for a GM 79-87 tilt column can be found.
"Any one"

Local parts stores and internet. You know this is a tilt wheel. Everyone carries it for the non tilt.

Just bought turn signal switches for two of them last summer at NAPA. I don't remember what year/make/model I looked it up for (may have been a GM) and I can't go look at the boxes because I'm deployed on the other side of the world right now. A friendly (and good) parts store will pull out the paper parts book and let you look through and see if you can find one based on pictures.

I know I could have a year ago also. But not today. I just didn't want to spend the $60 some they where wanting. Guess I should have and this would be over with

Took the switch apart and cleaned with electrical cleaner, add new grease. All is well again. This switch is not that hard to take apart. Just don't loose any springs.

I had just changed the column in my truck when I had everything (except for the right column) for an automatic to 4 speed swap.
I then found a floor shift column at Indy swap last year, trying now to decide whether to cut that hole in the floor and add the 3rd pedal to my truck.
I had to go into the original column because the ignition switch was bad (not the key lock portion) as it wouldn't spring back any more.
I discovered that someone who has no business working on cars letters alone steering columns had been in there , had been in there/ it was easier to swap columns than to scrounge up all the damaged/ missing parts for the original one. Add that a buddy gave me a replacement column made the fix/replace decision a no brainer.
Except that all those 4 speed parts dropped in my lap like 2 months later after I swapped columns.
That project has been out on hold for a bit, giving me plenty of time to stew on whether to swap tranny's or not.
And now I have everything else I need to instead put an a500 4 speed (an automatic 4 speed) in there besides. I have a thread elsewhere here on "what to do"...
Indiana has been too good to me on this project.
The truck came from there
Then the replacement stock auto trans column came from a little deeper into the state.
Then I got all the 4 speed 833od swap parts from someone else in Indiana
Then I fell into a rusty 91 318 Dakota that supplied the a500, that came from 3 blocks from work back here in Illinois
Then I bought a complete 64 /6 with a 727 and the (back then) required /6 to SB adapter plate that I'd need to put the a500 into my truck and keep it auto trans equipped. Again over in Indiana.
So thanks Indiana for confusing the hell out of me in the direction that this truck project is going.

To tie back to the original poster's thoughts I wish that one of these columns was a tilt version that I have here. That might make the decision on which way to go with the trans choice just a little bit easier.
Also I've found untold number of parts for my projects on eBay. And I usually find them when I'm actually searching for something else. Not related to what I find, I've bought more parts that I've wound up needing when I haven't been looking for them.
I hate the idea of replacing the whole column for one switch....

Lost more money on flee Bay than ever recovered in parts. Could be why they are no longer a option. But then the same could be said for market place.
Not really fond of either.

I will not sell there ever again (story for later) but I buy quite a bit there when there's a good deal to be had

Lost more money on flee Bay than ever recovered in parts. Could be why they are no longer a option. But then the same could be said for market place.
Not really fond of either.
Is the switch still working OK now?

You could put a small amount of di-electric greases on the terminals after the cleaning. 👍

Back