• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fopar's 72 F-250 project

Then I cut out another panel to fit over the larger area.

IMG_0339-1.jpg

IMG_0340-1.jpg

This was what I thought of when I thought of a double wall tailgate. I know other guys have put a panel over like this but I've never seen one with the stamped "FORD" added back in.

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0344-1.jpg

Marked the panel and then cut out the spot for the "FORD" and then tacked it in to it's new spot.

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

A lot of work right there,but it looks awesome !! I like how you were thinking outside the box,because you're right,people would have just put the flat panel over !! I'm likin it a whole lot !! Keep up the great work,I can't waite to see the finished product !!

ive been following this thread since day one and i have to say your craftmanship and attention to detail is nothing short of phenominal great work

So the tailgate mods are going well. I really like the way it is turning out. I finished welding up the patch panel where the stamped "FORD" was. It is welded on the inside and the outside, so that should help with sealing it from water and stuff. I also put down a good 3 coats of weldable primer on the underside of the new panel and in the empty space in the tailgate now.

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

Last edited:
The panel is now tacked on and all is well so far.... no waves or anything in the panel yet from the heat.

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

Just trying to take my time and not rush it. I wanted a smooth tailgate but didn't want to give up the the old school look of it and I think that this does both.

IMG_0368.jpg

6pakattack
A lot of work right there,but it looks awesome !! I like how you were thinking outside the box,because you're right,people would have just put the flat panel over !! I'm likin it a whole lot !! Keep up the great work,I can't waite to see the finished product !!​

Yeah I was really trying to pull off something I haven't seen done yet when it came to the tailgate. It is so hard to find something that hasn't been done yet. Most likely it already has I just didn't see it yet.....lol

dodgeboy
ive been following this thread since day one and i have to say your craftmanship and attention to detail is nothing short of phenominal great work

Thanks for the kind words, I just hope I can keep it up for the rest of the build. It's real easy when you first start..... but as time goes on it hard to maintain the standard. I've committed to the long haul on this one so we will see...lol Thanks again for following along and for letting me know what you think. Even if you don't agree with what I've done or you don't like Fords, it's nice to know someone is watching the progress.

Well after a needed break away from the project, got back to it yesterday. I cleaned up the shop put everything back in order & then continued the spot welding on the tail gate. About 300 spot welds later I called it a night. So about another 900 spot welds to go and the tailgate mods will be done. Hope to be posting pic’s of it finished soon.

Well it's been a while and not much to report on the project. My wife had a landscape project and we got to work on getting the garden going to. So not much time or energy left over for the trucks. Yesterday & today were the first days that I was able to do anything on them in a long time. The work truck has been leaking power steering fluid and the brakes had a really bad fade when stopping so I got to work on it to clean up the engine bay and fix the problems.

Engine bay when I got the truck:

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

Then found the problem with the power steering and fixed it and the brake fade was being caused by someone putting in the wrong rubber diaphragm in the cap so it wasn't sealing between the two reservoirs, as soon as I put the correct one in, it held with no fade at all. I then got to work priming and painting the engine and everything.

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

Started getting it put back together:

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

I had to call it a night so I will finish it up tomorrow, but starting to look a lot better.

Ok so didn't get it all the way done... the only thing left is the hood and my friend is going to come over tomorrow and help with that. But anyways here are some more progress pic's...

IMG_0569-Copy2.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

I picked up some universal light flexible strips for another project but never used them so I put them on around the head lights, kinda has that European head light look…

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

Still not sure if they are going to stay, I'll have to see how everyone reacts to them then make up my mind. Most likely it won't be legal, but whatever.

That truck turned out great. I would lose the halo lighting and go with the old school look. That way you won't get busted either.

bremereric
That truck turned out great. I would lose the halo lighting and go with the old school look. That way you won't get busted either.​

Yes I know, just had to see how they would look....

So finished up the truck on Monday but been busy ever since, so here are the finished pic's of the engine bay clean up...

before:

IMG_1369.jpg

after:

IMG_0595.jpg

before:

IMG_1371.jpg

after:

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

Just going to have fun and drive it for now..... time to get back onto the chassis swap project.

Iam new here and just read all of this, your trucks are sweet looking trucks also that aspen looks what i can see of it is sweet looking too.

Very pretty truck. Let me know if you need any mechanical parts. I am parting out a 72 F-250 that is a rust bucket,but complete mechanically and with all the options,including factory air.

Let me know if you know of any PS boxes,steering columns,and drag links for a 72 F-250 4x4.

I also need a power brake booster and master cylinder for a 72 4x4 with drum front brakes.

Back