• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fopar's 72 F-250 project

I've been working away at test fitting things back onto the truck and happy to say the radiator core support and inner fenders went on without to much of a fight. I will need to drill holes for the rubber isolators that the core support sits on, but shouldn't be to hard. The fender & wheel look right as for how they sit. Also there is plenty of frame sticking out up front to work with for the bumper and ect.

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

The steering box is way up front so I will have to see if I can modify the shaft off of the 02 to hook up to the 72 column.

IMG_0961.jpg

And here are some random shots under the truck.

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

I'm going to test fit a few more parts and line up the bed real good then go under it at mark all the bed rails so when I take it all back apart I can C notch all of them. Also I will have to dive right in and grind out the frame welds here in this pic.

IMG_0891.jpg

After it is separated at that point I will need to cut off 23-1/2" slide it back together and reweld it. I am at the point that I really can't do to much more without cutting the frame so might as well get it out of the way........ right?

So back to work on the truck today, I pulled the bed, cab, & engine back off the frame so I could cut it down to a short bed length. The bed on the 02 is a short bed but the cab was an extended so that’s where the cut will be made. I tack welded some legs to it so when its apart it will be easier to work on and also slide back together.

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

The factory welds were the perfect place to cut so I cleaned them up so they would be easy to follow.

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

I then made the cuts to each side and then slid the apart. After that I chopped off the extra 23-1/2” and ground off all the excess metal.

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

got out my ratchet straps and pulled it back into place nice and tight. Clamped everything and then took more measurements to make sure it was right.

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

Then welded it up cut off the legs and got ready to drill out the new bolt holes for the trany mount.

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

The placement of the trany mount is perfect for reinforcing the welds because it overlaps and bolts through both sides of the welds

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

I put the cab back up onto the frame and with the frame shortened I now was able to bolt it down.

IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

I had to trim some more of the lower back part of the cab so the cab would sit down onto the body mounts.

IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

The rear body mounts were only a little off so I had to drill new bolt holes.

IMG_1034.jpg

The floor pans seem to follow the frame like they were supposed to go together and the front cab mounts still shock me on how well they lined up.

I have the typical cross support rust so I will have to fix that along with the rusted floor pans.

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

got a few hours in the shop today and was able to mark off the bed and cut it down. I cut it so there would be a little overlap up front to help support the cut bed floor. Cleaned up the over lap sprayed it with weldable primer and got everything close to lined up. A few more adjustments and a little trim here an there and I should be able to start tacking it back together.

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

I cleaned out the seam sealer along both sides and started to tack it togther also. I still need to cut out the 4" on the other end and then notch the bed rails so it will sit lower. oh and fill all the holes that are everywhere.

IMG_1065.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

I finally have a short bed bump! I completed the cut down and tacking it back together. Now I just need to weld the inside part of the bed and then I can flip it over and finally notch the bed rails like I've been talking about.

Here's a before and after shot.

IMG_0908.jpg

and after

IMG_1105.jpg

I also welded up most of the holes and started on the passenger side welding up the bed seem.

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

Back