• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

first dodge...72D100

Sounds like a smart move to me . What's wrong with the transmission that it needs rebuilding ? Is it shot or just slipping a little ?
Brother Bear and LcMob brother, my friend is less a friend then us. Acquaintance is more like it, man at freakin fifty i'm soo damn naive sometimes! I get my head so damned wrappped up in what I want to do and put all my bloody faith in a guy that in the past has modified some vehicles of mine in the past, mind you, I buy the stuff and he puts it on for me, at a price of course. But now that i actually want to work with him, he's counting on "The Golden Goose Egg". As I mentioned in the past, I can do some limited work on my vehicle,just not at home! Ha! And I don't know enough to tear down and rebuild a trani or carb and definitely not electrical.
Thank's my brothers! you just gave me the key's back... I needed to hear from you guy's really! Thank you! 'cause at the end of the day if it takes me longer to fix my Betty at least i can count on you fellas and the FTO family to guide me through it! Granted, I might as well buy one of those crazy tranies that I can hold the gears and shift manualy or leave it in 'D'.
Shit! I really took a left turn on that one, just pissed at myself brothers for being a "Morrone", remember what I said about us Californians? We want shit now not later, however that fall under the category of the "Have's" I'm in the "Not Have's"...Ha!
Back to my transmission issue. It doesn't even slip! it just goes from second into third real fast, however my 'passing gear' is fucked, when I punch her, she don't down shift, she's just goes "RRRRGGGG", just revs, is that a slip?
Wow! just wrote a Hollywood script. Sorry fellas, I get pretty 'Windy'. I promise not to cry anymore, just checked my balls, yup, still there. Good Night my FRIENDS!

No problem on all the other stuff . As for what we mean by "slip" . It's when it's supposed to be in gear and moving but the engine is just reving and your not going anywhere . Like if you where in a stick truck and trying to move with your foot still on the clutch . Off the top of my head , your issues sounds like a pressure problem . Is your kick down rod still attached and is it adjusted properly ? By the way , That's the rod that comes off your carb and go's down to the drivers side of your transmission . Just in case you didn't know .

No problem on all the other stuff . As for what we mean by "slip" . It's when it's supposed to be in gear and moving but the engine is just reving and your not going anywhere . Like if you where in a stick truck and trying to move with your foot still on the clutch . Off the top of my head , your issues sounds like a pressure problem . Is your kick down rod still attached and is it adjusted properly ? By the way , That's the rod that comes off your carb and go's down to the drivers side of your transmission . Just in case you didn't know .
Good morning brother Bear, (at least on the left coast ). That is exactly how you broke it down. When I punch the throttle to pass, it just revs maddly! And when I take off from lights, I have to "ginger" the throttle. Once I'm cruzing it's all good as long as I don't punch it.
The other point you made, I'll have to check when I get the truck back, however I do recall thinking that the spring from carb. Looked a bit (a lot) streched. Make sense?

Quick question . Did the guy at the shop diagnose your transmission at all ? Another thing , I know you don't have the truck back with you yet , but check the tranny fluid and see if it's burnt at all . If that was a work truck before you got it then it probably hasn't seen a simple service in a long time . Check the level , look at it to see if it's clean and red and not more of a brownish color and ( I know this sounds odd ) but smell it . Transmission fluid doesn't have any smell and should be as red as if it just came out of the bottle .

Quick question . Did the guy at the shop diagnose your transmission at all ? Another thing , I know you don't have the truck back with you yet , but check the tranny fluid and see if it's burnt at all . If that was a work truck before you got it then it probably hasn't seen a simple service in a long time . Check the level , look at it to see if it's clean and red and not more of a brownish color and ( I know this sounds odd ) but smell it . Transmission fluid doesn't have any smell and should be as red as if it just came out of the bottle .
Good question: Steve and crew at AAMCO, opened my trans. Up, then told me I needed a "Full" rebuild. Before I droped it to the shop, about a month before I myself changed the trans. Fluid, filter and gasket. The fluid was never brown, nor smelled, in fact, the fluid was of a darker pink (rather then red) and still tasted "funky sweet" you know that trans. Fluid flavor right? Or am I the only 'Fool' that tastes everything...Ha!
The next morning, I found a hughe puddle of trans. Fluid on the ground where I had been stranded (more on that later), it was now leaking from the front seal, btw it never leaked before. When I took Betty in, I had a list of things that I wanted to fix or at least get checked. My main cause was, "I wanted the truck to be road safe", I'm a 'Landscaper/Designer'. Hence getting an old cool (rare out in my neck of the wood's) truck to promote my small business.
So let me break it down. (It will be long!).
1). Purchased the truck on July 31 2015. $1,200.00
2). Old man that sold me the truck told me what 'Attention' the truck needed. (Rare, in my neck of the wood's).
3). Major attention to front suspension. "The whole Shebang" needs replacement. Rear's not bad, shock's, bushings. etc... Steering box seal kit. Compression good but leaky valve covers, broken bolt to exhaust manifold and rear diff. Started leaking (spots). Betty is 43yrs. And a farmers truck. I get it! Not gonna be perfect.
4). Around late August, visiting my youngest son (in pics. I posted) in Lake Elsinor (rehab ranch). Traversing through Ortega Canyon (very treacherus mountain pass). That's when trans. Started to slip, passing gear slipped, reved badly, eventually no gears would work. Fortunately, a tow truck came buy and towed us to safe spot. Waited for a tow truck to take us back to the ranch.
5). 1 hour later, a flatbed showed up, he started the truck and drove it on the flatbed. He told me he thinks that the trans. Fluid boild over while going up and down in the "mountain Pass".
6). I am stuck at the 'Ranch' where my son is getting rehab (Folks that runs the place are cool), I stay with them and my son for three day! one of the fellow in rehab helps me change the fluid, filter and gasket on trans. (this was day two). Day three, ready to go back down home, trans. Fluid (a puddle) on the ground coming from 'front main seal'. I buy more fluid drove the truck untill it was hot and it stop bleeding, only when I stop or parked, it would leak.
7). A couple weeks goes buy. No issues with trans. except what I mentioned, Can't mash the throttle, it will slip, must ginger, get to speed and no probs. Check fluid every morning before work.
8). Late September. Red light in middle of dash comes on (I don't know what it means). Sun is going down and I notice I barely had any headlights! Brake light is good, turn signals are good, cab light is bright, but my gauge light and head lights are dim (yellow in colour).
9). A week later. My truck starts to stall, like engine off! while driving. Also while taking off at lights, if I gas it to much it fucking stalls! I notice carb is acting funny (BAD! cold start), Iddles rough, and also heavy gasoline smell in cab.
10). I'm still driving the truck. Joined FTO in late Sep. or early Oct. Took my truck to my "Friend's" place... AAmco.
And here we are...Long story (long).

Man ! That's a lot to take in and I'm a lil pressed on time right now . Got yet another appointment with the doc . But I'll try and address everything and give you some input .

Good question: Steve and crew at AAMCO, opened my trans. Up, then told me I needed a "Full" rebuild. Before I droped it to the shop, about a month before I myself changed the trans. Fluid, filter and gasket. The fluid was never brown, nor smelled, in fact, the fluid was of a darker pink (rather then red) and still tasted "funky sweet" you know that trans. Fluid flavor right? Or am I the only 'Fool' that tastes everything..
Red is good . Was there any metal in the pan or the filter ? As far as tasting it go's ? That explains a lot as to why your head is so scrambled . Try a little rum with it next time , it'll still taste like crap but you won't care . lol Just joking , I myself never claimed to be same either . lol

Last edited:
As far as what to the tow truck driver said about the trans boiling over ? Possible , with all the shifting while your going up and down the hills and such . Did you AAMCO guy ever check the radiator to see if the tranny cooler part was clogged at all ? Or did you see any of your transmission lines had any kinks in them ? A good idea after you get this truck back on the road would be to install an aftermarket transmission cooler . I do on all my automatics . It's good cheap insurance . If you research them you can usually find some pretty good deals on them .

GW , I hate to say it , but it sounds like you might have smoked the transmission between running it hot and running it low on fluid in between adding fluid while it was leaking . You said that AMMCO had your transmission "opened up" . By that do you mean that it's out of the truck already as we speak ? If so then maybe you should ask them how much it would cost for them to install a used unit . You should be able to find a good used one for a couple few hundred bucks . Which even with there labor to install it should save you a lot and you get a running truck back .

The headlight and the stalling issue could be one in the same . Is or was the truck charging properly ? Not enough current to your ignition would cause it to run bad and or stall .

On the front end , we covered that and that's something you could probably do yourself if you find a spot to do it . Just take your time and I think you can get thru it just find . As for using your truck for a sort of advertisement . Personally I think that's a real good idea . Back when I had my shop my Charger was the best advertisement I ever had . Everybody saw or new that car from the track , to shows , to sitting in front of the shop , to just cruising around .

Man ! That's a lot to take in and I'm a lil pressed on time right now . Got yet another appointment with the doc . But I'll try and address everything and give you some input .
Sorry brother, told you it was long! That's my condence version.
Please take your time with my BS. Situation, after all, it is a truck and an old one at that.
I hope your health is well... Do have a good positive Dr.'s visit, talk soon.

GW , I hate to say it , but it sounds like you might have smoked the transmission between running it hot and running it low on fluid in between adding fluid while it was leaking . You said that AMMCO had your transmission "opened up" . By that do you mean that it's out of the truck already as we speak ? If so then maybe you should ask them how much it would cost for them to install a used unit . You should be able to find a good used one for a couple few hundred bucks . Which even with there labor to install it should save you a lot and you get a running truck back .
Yes Sir. As I type this response, they are rebuilding it. Sorry man, I should have addressed this sooner on the board. However on a little brighter side they are installing an 'B&M' shift kit. Also I am getting complete brake overhaul... New discs up front (Cross Drilled and Grooves), pads, lines, Master and Booster and the rear drums re-done as well.
Still, it's gonna run about $3,200 out the door... Yikes!!! I got F@cked! Ha!!! Never more my friend. I would have lost my deposit of a 'grand' for them to put my trans. back together.
Like I said, I rushed in on this one, boy did I learn my lesson.

On the front end , we covered that and that's something you could probably do yourself if you find a spot to do it . Just take your time and I think you can get thru it just find . As for using your truck for a sort of advertisement . Personally I think that's a real good idea . Back when I had my shop my Charger was the best advertisement I ever had . Everybody saw or new that car from the track , to shows , to sitting in front of the shop , to just cruising around .
I do agree! on both subjects. Food for thought. Been reading up a lot on B350 LCA swap. What do you, LcMob or any brother's from FTO think? I figure to order them pieces then drilling'em, cutting here and there per what I read and doing the front end meself. Dak. Spindles? Spring clamp compressors?

The headlight and the stalling issue could be one in the same . Is or was the truck charging properly ? Not enough current to your ignition would cause it to run bad and or stall .
I have a brand new battery. The gauge never moved from the middle, been reading up on 'Turn Signal' Cam? it say's that it could cause "Gremlins? IDK. All I know is that my right side front, rear and license plt. lights didn't work, only on the right side! Oh and I have to hold on to the bliker stalk for signals to work (Left side that is).

As far as what to the tow truck driver said about the trans boiling over ? Possible , with all the shifting while your going up and down the hills and such . Did you AAMCO guy ever check the radiator to see if the tranny cooler part was clogged at all ? Or did you see any of your transmission lines had any kinks in them ? A good idea after you get this truck back on the road would be to install an aftermarket transmission cooler . I do on all my automatics . It's good cheap insurance . If you research them you can usually find some pretty good deals on them .
Yeah. My trans. cooler was working but it's all "F'ed" up. They 'AAMCO' are installing a new one (HD). I never thought to look at the trans. Lines. Live and learn on this one for sure!

I do agree! on both subjects. Food for thought. Been reading up a lot on B350 LCA swap. What do you, LcMob or any brother's from FTO think? I figure to order them pieces then drilling'em, cutting here and there per what I read and doing the front end meself. Dak. Spindles? Spring clamp compressors?

I don't know anything about truck spindles or swapping them. Do your research and you should find enough out there to guide you in the right direction. I'm all for you doing and learning how to redo the front suspension. It's all fairly easy and straightforward. If it hasn't been mentioned, get a FSM (factory service manual) and you should be able to do most everything that truck needs.

Shops are always looking out for themselves. Your buddy may still be your buddy, but he has a bottom line to meet and he will think accordingly. I have a friend who doesn't save me one penny when he works on the girlfriend's car, 2008 Avenger R/T I don't know about these modern cars. Anything he touches is shop rate. He does let me bring in my own parts, that's it.

I have a brand new battery. The gauge never moved from the middle, been reading up on 'Turn Signal' Cam? it say's that it could cause "Gremlins? IDK. All I know is that my right side front, rear and license plt. lights didn't work, only on the right side! Oh and I have to hold on to the bliker stalk for signals to work (Left side that is).

Replace the turn signal cam and wiring and it should be fine. I had to jump my brake light switch on my Polara so in have brake lights, but both signals flash no matter which one is on. Winter or spring project.

Red is good . Was there any metal in the pan or the filter ? As far as tasting it go's ? That explains a lot as to why your head is so scrambled . Try a little rum with it next time , it'll still taste like crap but you won't care . lol Just joking , I myself never claimed to be same either . lol
Lol!! Never thought about mixing it with rum! Upon inspecting the pan for shards, nothing major, little hairs on the magnet, thats about it. Btw. My avatar, is it me or my old boy the 'Rednose'? To much straight trans. Fluid drinking! Just joshing.:hurting:

Back