• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Exhaust next or distributor?

THE-HOG

Reaction score
Just wrapped up a 4 barrel swap and and torn between the two. Exhaust is easier cus no wiring and cheaper, but my coil pack and distributor are factory, could probably use a refresh of course.

Just wrapped up a 4 barrel swap and and torn between the two. Exhaust is easier cus no wiring and cheaper, but my coil pack and distributor are factory, could probably use a refresh of course.
If it's working why mess with the electrical until the exhaust is done. Then decided if it no longer handles the demand.

just because they're factory, doesn't
mean "junk" probably still better than current "new" parts. "new" these days definitely don't necessarily mean "good". the distributor can be easily rebuilt, bushings are available if needed, so are vac advance cans and electronic ignition pickups, seized mechanical advance weights can easily be freed up, etc. Spend elsewhere.

New dual exhaust won't get you as much as you think. If you over pipe it you'll actually go backwards on power (exhaust scavenging is SUPER important *) and unless you're already high HP the percent gain will not be that noticeable. The best designed and constructed exhaust system in the world won't make your heads flow any better, that's where the real power/restriction happens.

I've had a coil that "work just fine" but something was just was not quite right about how things ran. Had a guy that actually had the machine to measure dwell, output etc. and we found out that the coil was getting kinda sluggish for lack of a better word. Replaced it and most of the engine power issues went away, the rest are suspected of low engine rebuild quality (but that's another story). I kept the old coil because I know it works and have used it as a diagnostic piece.

* Find the video on youtube from Uncle Tony about it

Parts supplier's just got to love some people.
"Yep" I will make my quota off this guy alone. You know chrome adds 20 HP.
Those aluminum valve cover got to add another 30 HP. Think you get the picture.
Save your money and spend it on stuff that matters.

New dual exhaust won't get you as much as you think. If you over pipe it you'll actually go backwards on power (exhaust scavenging is SUPER important *) and unless you're already high HP the percent gain will not be that noticeable. The best designed and constructed exhaust system in the world won't make your heads flow any better, that's where the real power/restriction happens.

I've had a coil that "work just fine" but something was just was not quite right about how things ran. Had a guy that actually had the machine to measure dwell, output etc. and we found out that the coil was getting kinda sluggish for lack of a better word. Replaced it and most of the engine power issues went away, the rest are suspected of low engine rebuild quality (but that's another story). I kept the old coil because I know it works and have used it as a diagnostic piece.

* Find the video on youtube from Uncle Tony about it
Other factors come in to how a coil fires. Sounds like that "machine" was an old school ignition scope. Plug condition, cap rotor wires condition, even some carb/mixture issues or vac leak cah effect"how" a coil fires....

Other factors come in to how a coil fires. Sounds like that "machine" was an old school ignition scope. Plug condition, cap rotor wires condition, even some carb/mixture issues or vac leak cah effect"how" a coil fires....
Yes, coil only produces what's required of it. It may be nice to have extra capacity when needed. But most vehicles don't need super coils.

Back