• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Death wobble over a bump?

Reaction score
Hello! I have a 1992 Dodge ram W250. When I seem to go over a medium-sized bump or pothole in the road. My truck starts to violently shake, Then it straightens itself back out if I yank the wheel, Now with that being said it only seems to happen under 40mph. As ive reached as low speeds as 15-20-25. But any higher above 40 it doesnt do it over those same bumps, I don't know what to do or replace on it. Anybody had this issue?

image1.jpeg

Steering knuckles all tight and wheel bearings checked? Also does it have a steering stabilizer?

A stabilizer will be a band-aid that will do a real good job of covering up the real issue. The steering gear and/or put coupler (if it has one) if worn out can cause weird issues.

A stabilizer will be a band-aid that will do a real good job of covering up the real issue. The steering gear and/or put coupler (if it has one) if worn out can cause weird issues.
Would a new steering box at this point be stupid to put on? Truck has over 250K on it and its very loose.

That's for you to decide. Do you like the truck and want to keep it? That's the bigger question. If you replace that (and probably a few other tings while you're in there) and a wheel alignment will run you $???. Is that more or less money than you can find something else for that'll need other repairs too. So maybe you put a grand into (depending on if you hire the work or do it yourself) it at this point and you know what you have. How many payments is that on a different truck that's decent?

Personally I'd do it. It's not really safe to drive the way it is and with that issue how much could you sell it for?

That's for you to decide. Do you like the truck and want to keep it? That's the bigger question. If you replace that (and probably a few other tings while you're in there) and a wheel alignment will run you $???. Is that more or less money than you can find something else for that'll need other repairs too. So maybe you put a grand into (depending on if you hire the work or do it yourself) it at this point and you know what you have. How many payments is that on a different truck that's decent?

Personally I'd do it. It's not really safe to drive the way it is and with that issue how much could you sell it for?
I do enjoy the truck, It's been a one owner all of its life since May of 92'. I definitely think the end it's worth it but we will see. Just starting to notice more and more small shit that needs tightening or fixed. Due to the factor, i want it highway-worthy, And it hasn't gone over 65MPH since like 2010. Maybe a few times but. She runs great and no holes in the frame so, I think it's just best to suck it up and drop the money.

I had a lot of trouble until I had the tires balanced and that helped then after a while I replaced the tires and it was perfect

Back