• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

cam removal

thom6872

Reaction score
Ok the 440 is on the stand,block is stripped except for oil pump,which is unbolted but stuck on with what I don't know. the crank and pistons are out need to pull soft plugs and oil plugs. get ready,,,,,, How do I break the cam loose to pull it or what is holding it in gears are off etc . this is all I have to do before taking it to machine shop.....help

Have you removed the intermediate shaft? It drives the distributor and the oil pump. May be able to rotate it out using a big screw driver or pull it out using a big pair of needle noise plier eather way turn counter clock wise. After removing the intermediate shaft you may have to tap the oil pump with a soft hammer to brake it loose.

Ok soft plugs out, oil pump off. still can't see anything holding cam. Intermediate shaft,the one with the gear on it?? out. what else????

There is no cam retainer. I usually pull the cam with the gear in place just rotate and pull on the gear at the same time should get it out of the bearings.

I usually screw a long bolt into the end of the cam to use as a handle. As for the oil pump stuck on, maybe someone used some gasket cement on it. You should be able to tap it with a hammer to break it loose. You should then be able to easily remove the intermediate shaft by pushing it out while rotating it or rotating the cam, which will force it up.

thanks everyone for the suggestions. I did get the oil pump off, and it was put on with thread lock or something that won't come off. I have a long bolt in the front of the cam, but it still won't budge I think I need a slide hammer.

Or a short pipe larger than the cam a large washer, long threaded bolt that will screw into the cam and a nut. Instant puller for less than $5.00 if you do not area have the stuff sitting around.

Ok, I didn't have large enough allen wrench to pull the oil plugs and figured I would leave it to the machine shop. I did find, by more looking, another rod on the opposite side from the oil pump it slid easily up and down but would not come out because of the plug. I hadn't tried to hold it up at the same time I tried to pull the cam. Well after a couple of hours away from the motor frustration I kept looking and finally saw it sitting on the cam. I held it up and tried pulling on the bolt I had inserted in the cam end and low and behold, it slid out like it was greased. At least I didn't try to force anything. I still will have the machine shop pull the oil port plugs and that rod and bring it home and store it with other parts. Thank you all for your patients with this green horn. It has been a long time since i've worked on engines, and those were usually fords or chevys. never had trouble with my Dodges LOL.Thanks again and will keep all posted on my progress on the rebuild and work on the dually.

That rod is for the fuel pump and forgot all about it. I pull cam shafts with the engine upright and just never gave it a thought of still setting on the cam. Check the rod for ware on the end the due go bad.

Back