• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

THE-HOG

Reaction score
This morning I went to start "the hog" (75 w100 power wagon,318,4spd) and it started but turned off because my timing and choke wasn't enough. I popped the hood to see my red wire from the alternator in the process of burning. FML! About a month ago I used a wire brush to clean the outside of the alternator and I believe a piece of junk fell in and shorted it. I'm already expecting an alternator and wiring harness, any advise welcome. Also Hi Volaredon, you see almost all my posts.

D7DFF80A-3460-4B4A-BB9C-8A7334DC1674.jpeg

Advise would be to keep the wire brush away for the alternator. Looks like it went into overload and melted a field wire. I would take the alternator off and have it checked. Replacing the regulator might also be required. Note " the voltage regulator has likely melted down also". Now you also have the fun unwrapping a wire harness to expose the extent of melt down. Have fun with the repairs.

I've already removed the alternator and wiring harness, already got a new alternator on the way!

That wire should never have that much (amps) going through it. Even a dead short in the alt you can't get more than the regulator can supply. But... if the regulator went full melt down first then it might be close to as much as the battery can shove, that's way too much for a wire that size.

Either way it's an alternator, voltage regulator and a long hard look at the wiring harness!

That wire should never have that much (amps) going through it. Even a dead short in the alt you can't get more than the regulator can supply. But... if the regulator went full melt down first then it might be close to as much as the battery can shove, that's way too much for a wire that size.

Either way it's an alternator, voltage regulator and a long hard look at the wiring harness!
In the past I did burn the field positive choke manifold heater (of the same circuit) on a different wiring harness, I replaced the harness and not the regulator, it seems that has fried my regulator and then no reg fried the alternator?

Back