• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1987 dodge d150 4x4 hemi 5.7

Decker49

Reaction score
Has any one put a 5.7 or 6.1 in an older dodge pickup I have thought about putting my older body on this 2013 Ram frame which already has complete motor transfer case tranny everything to complete or would it be easier to transfer everything from the 2013 into the frame rails of the 87 dodge. Need some advice on if any one has done this. Thanks don

Before you even consider a body swap , measure the wheel base's because I think the newer Rams are totally different . At the very least there wider then the 86 I believe . As far as the new gen Hemi swap it's self go's , yes it's been done but I haven't done one yet . There is a guy on here that his brother is building a 5.7 and installing it in a 70's two wheel drive Warlock . He could probably give you some input on it . Are you thinking of swapping everything ( injection , computer , etc. ) or are you thinking just drivetrain and doing away with all that stuff ?

I would like to do a complete transfer including all dash components steering colum. I know I might have to shorten the frame and drive shaft. I have the cab and all components to do it infact the cab I have is very nice so everything is there. Thanks again any help is appreciated. Don

Last edited:
I hope your very nice cab has the manual trans or four wheel drive tunnel in the floor will make the swap much easier. You planning on using the old solid front axle or the new independent as the new and old transfer case drive shaft location are not the same?

Very good point "7Mopar" ! If he use's the older axles , I'm not sure if the older T case would bolt up to the newer transmission . It might but I'm not sure and that's the only way I can think of to swap the front drive shaft over to the other side and if he were to swap the new axles to the older truck then I think he's going to run into an issue with the newer axles being to wide .

This is a 4x4 truck cab, I was hoping to swap the body but if axles are two wide I would like to swap the engine and transfer case over and automatics to the old body and use the old front and rearend on the 87. I am trying to figure out if motor mounts and such would work. It would be great if I could swap the body this truck is a 2013 model and would have the ride of a new truck.

I have not brought it in the shop yet but am trying to obtain all the information before I start that and I am trying to finish a airstream trailer and a 57 cameo then it is the 87 I do know of someone putting the 5.7 in a dodge adventure and I think it all bolted up but the top center bolt on the tranny. Now I can not find the info on that swap. I just thought it would be nice to have all the modern ride from my 2013 thanks again don

I'm certainly paying attention to the details. It's my understanding that the hemi will bolt up to the 518 and other older transmissions. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make contact with anyone that has done the swap first hand.

My son is working on a similarly conversion 63 power wagon with 2000 5.2 automatic but is running origional divorced transfere case and axles. There are adaptors for new trans to old transfers if you want to use the 87 frame and axles. Think web site is trans adaptors.

If you do find someone who has done the swap I sure would like to know. I think I screwed up and cancelled my forum question

This is a 4x4 truck cab, I was hoping to swap the body but if axles are two wide I would like to swap the engine and transfer case over and automatics to the old body and use the old front and rearend on the 87. I am trying to figure out if motor mounts and such would work. It would be great if I could swap the body this truck is a 2013 model and would have the ride of a new truck.

I think the reason why "7Mopar" asked about the transmission tunnel is because you said that it was a "d"150 and that's a two wheel drive truck with the small tranny tunnel ( unless it's a stick truck ) . The "W"150 Is a four wheel drive .

Since part of the reason your thinking about this swap is that you want the ride quality of the 2013 then what I'd do is get both trucks side by side and take "all" the measurements from both trucks to see if the body swap is doable . Measure the wheel base , frame width and length , etc. . Also check out were your body mounts are going to be and figure out weather your going to have to move them or make them up . Some of the other things that your going to have to figure out is how your going to modify your inner fenders to make room for the coil springs in the front . The stock heater box might have to be worked or replaced as well , I'm not sure without seeing it first hand . ..... Quick question and please don't take this the wrong way . What's you mechanical ability ? Can you fabricate , weld , handle the electronics ? I only ask this just because weather it's just a drive tran swap or a body swap , neither one is a small or easy job and I've seen a lot of people start something like this and "then" realize they have gotten in over there heads .

I would ask the same question, yes I have a complete shop and have been building Streetrods and musle cars most my life. I am currently finishing a 57 Chevy cameo ls3 full vette suspension very nice truck also just started a Airstream trailer and I know nothing about but it is something different to do. Just finished a 34 Dodge pickup with a Chrysler 360 narrowed 72 challenger rearend indept front. Also just finished a1970 Coronet rt factory 426 hemi one of 9 autos. I love trucks and for the last few years wanted to do a modern conversion with a 5.7 or 6.1 and had chance to buy this truck someone had started to strip but I got everything I needed to do a 4x4 conversation.

I would ask the same question, yes I have a complete shop and have been building Streetrods and musle cars most my life. I am currently finishing a 57 Chevy cameo ls3 full vette suspension very nice truck also just started a Airstream trailer and I know nothing about but it is something different to do. Just finished a 34 Dodge pickup with a Chrysler 360 narrowed 72 challenger rearend indept front. Also just finished a1970 Coronet rt factory 426 hemi one of 9 autos. I love trucks and for the last few years wanted to do a modern conversion with a 5.7 or 6.1 and had chance to buy this truck someone had started to strip but I got everything I needed to do a 4x4 conversation.

Ahhhhhhh , So I guess your qualified . lol ! I'm glad you understood . You don't know how many people have come to me and said " I started this project , can you finish it up for me ?" and I end up checking it out and it's a royal mess that they should have never started on there own .

I only do that for family and then it has to be in the Chrysler group got tired of the other stuff years ago. They have to help put it together so if it gets abused they can fix themselves. That and it is no fun if I have to bill for my time.

Back