• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1948 Dodge B1B frame swap

Dodge Old

Reaction score
Greetings to all. I have a 48 B1B. Thinking of moving the body to a Dakota frame. I have never attempted something of this magnitude. Comments are welcome, is this too much for a first try ??

I'd have to ask, why do you want to do this? Does the '48 have severe issues but a good body? Of course its your truck and your choice but I really like the B series pickups and drive mine often. I'd hate to see an otherwise good old truck modified like that if it wasn't absolutely necessary. Not many left out there.

BTW, mines a '53 B series, 3/4 ton. Other than paint and some cosmetics, its still all the original frame, drive train, and front end/cab, including the 6v positive ground system with points ignition system. Gotta love it, as its what I grew up with. Love the flat head 218 cid straight six, runs great.

PA090059.JPG

Last edited:
Good point. Great truck, no rust. Engine runs great. My big issue is the brakes. I’ve rebuilt them and still have issues. Leaks fluid out.

Leaks down the rear tires. I pulled the rear tires today and installed new cylinders. Maybe that will fix it. This is my third time to pull the wheels and repair. The first few times were probably my error on installation. LOL

That's a beauty you've got there. I learned to drive in Dad's '49 when I was about 8 yrs old. Just on the farm not out on the road of course. Great old trucks.

I had to do the front brakes on mine too when I first got it. Haven't opened up the rears, but they probably need some work too. It'll stop OK but I really try to anticipate and slow down early.

Of course, slowing down isn't to hard since these trucks top speed is only about 40! I'm seldom over 30-35 in mine.

More pics. Did my third try on the brakes. Finally success. The OEM cylinders (grr) that are supposed to fit, didn’t fit “as is”. They’re slightly longer than stock. I had to machine the end of the brake shoe down that links to the cylinder. Finally got a real nice fit. Took it for a drive and yes 35-40 is about the max. I’ve had this truck since 1972.

IMG_4443.jpeg

IMG_4444.jpeg

IMG_4445.jpeg

71848815043__50010EF5-54DE-48FA-87A2-BF4EA4E6C962.jpeg

well i've hotrodded my 60 d100 for easy of parts . using a drop tube axle up front with a four bar n coil overs and disc brakes and a 66-70 b body rear end in the rear . but this truck is modified quit a bit .

DSC03264.JPG

DSC03265.JPG

DSC03266.JPG

DSC03271.JPG

DSC04070.JPG

DSC04066.JPG

DSC03458.JPG

Wow! Big project. I think my level knowledge for a body swap is beyond my ability. The old truck runs well and functions as it should as is.

Back